Returning to modelling after many years.

First Name
Mike
Used to build models many years ago when I was a kid. Now have Grandchildren and just retired and went to stay over the Xmas and New Year period. Grandson who is 11yrs old got his first models over Xmas and now it's a case of "Grandad you can show me how to built them."
So I am glad I found this site so I can learn how things are done nowadays. Blimey, the 1960's seem a long time ago now!!

Model building will take place when we visit as we live 2.5hrs apart but hopefully the plan is to sell our property in Hampshire and move closer to the kids in Gloucestershire. Need a hobby, looks like the nipper may have found it for me!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Used to build models many years ago when I was a kid. Now have Grandchildren and just retired and went to stay over the Xmas and New Year period. Grandson who is 11yrs old got his first models over Xmas and now it's a case of "Grandad you can show me how to built them."
So I am glad I found this site so I can learn how things are done nowadays. Blimey, the 1960's seem a long time ago now!!

Model building will take place when we visit as we live 2.5hrs apart but hopefully the plan is to sell our property in Hampshire and move closer to the kids in Gloucestershire. Need a hobby, looks like the nipper may have found it for me!
Welcome Mike, plenty of us on here are " Grumpy" so you'll be in good company.
Any question is bound to be answered by someone with the knowledge in a friendly way.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome aboard from another 'Pop' ! I only got back into this fun n games in my sixties too, there have been many new skills and ideas I have tried to learn, there are loads of very skillfull guys here to learn from - Have fun !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Mike.

I had a similar experience when I came back after 25+ years.....glue that came in bottles and not a tube and new fangled acrylic paints rather than enamels.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome aboard Mike there’s plenty of old Dinosaurs here to show you the ropes I’m one of the young Whippersnappers here. All joking aside you will not find a better group of people here always ready to help.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome Mike, hope you enjoy your time with us.

Jim.
Welcome aboard Mike there’s plenty of old Dinosaurs here to show you the ropes I’m one of the young Whippersnappers here. All joking aside you will not find a better group of people here always ready to help.
Lee I must tell you concerning your "old dinosaur" insinuation that I completely resemble that remark!;)

Jim.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Welcome to the forum mike , always plenty of friendly advice on here if you need it , the main thing is we all have fun and dont take it too seriously , its supposed to be a hobby after all . Cheers tony

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Welcome aboard Mike

I guess you have already read that you are in good company and will find all the help you need, just ask.

Enjoy the new hobby, it is a cornucopia of subjects and scales

Regards

Steve H

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll make it unanimous........welcome to the circus! All clowning aside.......great bunch of people and no end to the help or advice you are looking for, just ask. Rick H.

hirschberg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stuart
Welcome Mike. Plenty of us "Old Gits" here. You will find all sorts, from builders, who leave us gobsmacked at what
they can acheive, to others like me, who build mostly OOTB and all inbetween.
This forum should suit you well.
Stuart