Revell 1/32 Arado 196A-3

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You are doing a fantastic job on this Vaughan.

Ian M

J

James Q

Just read the build and its looking very good! Cant wait to see the finished item.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks Guys. I think I'm on the final hurdle but masking is not going to be fun I need to get the sequence just right. I'm in the process of masking off the engine so I can start on the camo.

Vaughan

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

This Arado looks very impressive. I'm really looking forward to this seeing this seaplane finished.

Superb skills all round.

Cheers

Paul

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A bit of an update have just finished spraying the engine and the cowlings with RLM 70. I have also finished the prop and nosecone. Now starts the mammoth task of masking the fuselage and floats.

Vaughan

View attachment 42455

View attachment 42456

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan its looking awesome,do'nt envy the mask job you've got coming tho! I'm sure you'll slug it out and come out with a winner!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for that Trey.

The camo is now complete on the engine cowling. I just need to mist a very thin coat of dark green as I did with the wings. Tomorrow I will start masking the fuselage, floats and struts. Wish me luck.

Vaughan

View attachment 42484

View attachment 42485

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Have made a tentative start on the masking this morning. Floats and fuselage ok but still got to get my head around the struts. I had a go at dry fitting the engine and prop to the fuselage I'm pleased with the result so far.

Vaughan

View attachment 42501

View attachment 42502

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Masking. Always a luvly job........Putting it on is fine. It's taking the stuff off I hate...I Hope you remembered to de-stickfy that tape.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Nearly There!

Thanks for the advice Ian and no I didn't it was a real struggle to get it off in places. I've had a bit of an issue with the tape or rather greasy fingers. The planes had a lot of handling over the last few months and I don't think I've been washing my hands enough so the tape has been pulling the paint off in places, we live and learn. So there has been plenty of touching up but I'm getting there. Will try and do some more today there's still lots to do like adding all the dangly bits, attaching the engine and all the inspection covers, a light misting of dark green to tone down the camo, a couple of coats of Klear, applying the decals, weathering the list does go on a bit. Anyway here are some photos.

Vaughan.

View attachment 42562

View attachment 42563

View attachment 42564

View attachment 42565

View attachment 42566

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
very nice there vaughn ... really fancy doing this aircraft one day ....rgds Lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Vaughan,I just checked in to see how this one was getting along and getting along it certainly is! Despite a few tribulations you have to fix in the paintwork it looks absolutely superb. I always find that the final stages take me forever,waiting for various coats to dry etc,but you know this will be worth it.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb job vaughan , its really starting to look mighty impressive! , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a great finish you have on that paint! bummer with the tape pull but as you have said, you only need to forget to wash your hands once, or scratch your nose and trouble lies ahead.

I am sure that you will not be able to see once repaired.

I must confess to having an urge to build one of those as well its on my list of German aircraft i would like to build. So thats up to four now!!! lol.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Really impressive stuff Vaughan....Nearly there now!

Although I haven't posted much, I have been watching this from day one, and what a treat it has been to see it come together, well done.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking real good now Vaughan. I hope I don't upset you, but I've just remembered a tip I read about masking struts. Some folks use a straw with a slit cut lengthwise - just cut it to the right length, slip it over the strut and fix with just a couple of bits of tape. You can cut out recesses where struts meet each other and fix any small gaps at these joints either with tape or blutack. You can also use those 'bendy' straws with the corrugated sections for curved struts the same way.

No good to you now of course, but maybe in the future!

Gern

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Almost there!

Well the masking is off which was a bit of a nightmare I should have as Ian said de-stickfy the tape or as Dave suggested use straws anyway it's off. The fuselage and floats have had a light misting of dark green to match the wings and reduce the contrast between the two colours. I've applied the first coat of klear in readiness for the decals. I have also pre drilled holes on the float sides to take the cables for the rudders. A second coat of klear maybe tomorrow and then on with the decals. Here's another dry run with the wings and the engine.

Vaughan

View attachment 42616

View attachment 42617

View attachment 42618

View attachment 42619

View attachment 42620

View attachment 42621

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

I'm loving this one Vaughan, like Ron I've been watching without commenting but it's so good! The detail is great & your painting is of a very high standard. I only hope to do half as well as you.

Patrick

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi All

The second coat of Klear has been applied and I have attached the rudder cables. Hopefully I will make a start on the decals tomorrow.

Vaughan

View attachment 42794

IMG_0070.jpg