Revell 1/32 Bf109 G-6 Early/Late

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the comps guys. Might be a while before my next update as I managed to fall down stairs on Sunday bruised ribs an a swollen left arm now in a sling. Luckily no brakes after a visit to A&E but it has put me out of action:sad:.

D

dubster72

Sorry to hear that Vaughan, let's hope you make a swift recovery!

Cheers

Patrick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

I'm really sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you make a speedy recovery and you're able to finish, what promises to be, another outstanding Vaughan masterpiece.

All the very best

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Missed your accident post Vaughan. Hope you get better soon, pleased that you did not break anything.

L

Laurie

That is just bad luck Vaughan.

But being a young man recovery is quickly ensured !

Laurie

Very nice progress on the model. Though I am not a 1.32 man the detail on a 1/32 is very interesting.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks guys for your concern. Arm is on the mend out of the sling and swelling is going down. So maybe in a week or two I might be able to make some further progress.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Well as promised here at last is some progress although not too much.

The fuselage is now together and the side cowlings added. As I'm going with the late version I've added the high tail option. A little sanding was required as there is no natural panel line where the top section is added.

The top section of the cowling is at present not glued as the exhaust stacks are not in place, I was hoping to work round this one and added them further down the line but they have to be inserted from the inside so will require masking at some point.

Not sticking to the instructions I've made a start on the nose cone and prop. Revell in their wisdom have split the nose cone where there is no seam and as a result once the props are fitted it will be nearly impossible to remove the join so some modification is required so the props can be added later.

View attachment 83685

View attachment 83686

View attachment 83687

View attachment 83688

View attachment 83689

141006_2162.jpg

141006_2163.jpg

141006_2164.jpg

141006_2166.jpg

141006_2167.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good to see you back at it and some nice progress.

The kit's join halfway up the spinner just beggars belief. Why would they do that? There was a join at the back of the spinner where it attached to the spinner back plate on the real thing which they could have replicated!

For those who don't know what I mean a picture speaks a thousand words. Here's a Bf 109 (actually a G-10, but this bit is the same) which has lost it's spinner, showing where it would have attached to the back plate.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
As I suspected Steve. I've just had a second look at the instructions my nose cone differs from the drawings there appears to be a cut out so one part would mate with the back plate with another section creating a seam half way up. Why oh why did Revell do this? they're a German company after all. Anyway I will plod on.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Thanks guysReelo, thanks for the links I had checked out the reviews when I first bought the kit so have made some adjustments to the fuselage as I've opted to do the early version top oil filler cover filled as was only used on the G10 variant.

The cockpit is now all buttoned up and I have added the spar to achieve the correct dihedral.

View attachment 82623

View attachment 82624

View attachment 82625

View attachment 82626
Sorry to hear about your accident. You have a simple but extremely effective cockpit right there. Great paint job. I like the dials and the seatbelts as well. The build is progressing nicely.

John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

Good progress on the Gustav

Re the spinner break down: if you don't fancy fixing the join Henri Dahne does a superb after market item on a par with the Stuka prop and spinner I used in my last build. I've already bought this item for my Revell 109 G and can report (again) that it's very, very good.

I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing this model finished Vaughan. I think it will be another special build.

Cheers

P

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A small update here. I've just completed the three sections that make up the wings and I must say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the results:sad:. Revell by cutting corners in providing a kit that will cover different variants. The result is that you have three sections for the wings which gives you three chances of miss alining the components. Where the two top sections meet you end up with a panel line that is so wide that you then have add filler, leading edge seams don't line up and the wing roots need attention:sad:. Anyway here are the results so far. On a second note two parts that are greyed out on the instruction sheet and supposedly are not for use should be fitted as they are the backs of the oil baths(see red arrows)they are on spru B-84A and spru A-26

View attachment 83966

View attachment 83967

View attachment 83968

View attachment 83969

View attachment 83970

View attachment 83971

View attachment 83972

View attachment 83973

View attachment 83974

View attachment 83975

141606_2183.jpg

141606_2184.jpg

141706_2169.jpg

141706_2171 copy.jpg

141706_2172 copy.jpg

141706_2175 copy.jpg

141706_2177.jpg

141706_2178.jpg

141806_2197.jpg

141806_2200.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Vaughan. Revell have made your job harder than need be but I'm sure you will see this one through.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Vaughan

The wing configuration does seem a bit complex but I know that you'll master the problems with the fit.

It looks real quality so far (no less then I'd expect from you) and I can't wait to see the scheme you go for. Many thanks for the heads up on the build quirks it is really useful.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Paul

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
good, progress Vaughan, its looking good even with the wing problem, some time you think just why do they do it ? :rolleyes:

but you have the talent to over come that and liik forward to next up date, ;)

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

I think maybe this thread is going to turn into a bit of a rant. I'm still working on the wings and nose cone but hopefully they will turn out ok. (Paul thanks for the info on a replacement spinner but at the moment I'm a bit short of cash so will persist on trying to make good with the one I've got).

As a distraction I thought I would have a look at the main under cart, maybe I shouldn't have. Basically they are made up of three parts for some reason it is split vertically with the wheel axil needing to be attached separately. Just take a look at the spru shots there is so much flash that the part is hardly visible. What are Revell playing at the detail is good but there seems to be some fundamental things going wrong. I've made an attempt at cleaning up the axil but some work is still needed. Rant over I will try to make the best job of it I can.

View attachment 84027

View attachment 84028

View attachment 84029

View attachment 84030

View attachment 84031

View attachment 84032

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.
141906_2213.jpg

141906_2215.jpg

141906_2216.jpg

141906_2218.jpg

141906_2233.jpg

141906_2235.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It doesn't look to be the best engineered kit, even given that there are economic reasons for the wing arrangement. I doesn't look to be the most cleanly molded either. These things are sent to try us, and it seems like that's exactly what they are doing to you!

Good luck, I'm sure you will master it eventually. The progress certainly looks good.

I made some adverse comments about the engineering and molding of the Revell 1/32 Ju 88 kit somewhere and got castigated for it on the grounds that it was good value for money for such a big kit in a large scale. This seemed a bit unreasonable to me, but there you go. It might be good value for money but it requires some experience to put together without making a dog's ear of it and some parts were so malformed I virtually had to scratch build them. This Bf 109 kit seems similar in many respects.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

I had thought about buying this one as a first foray into aircraft building - thank heaven I didn't because my patience levels are far lower than yours Vaughan!

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers.

Patrick