Revell 1:32 Westland Lysander (Special Duties)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is the Revell (Matchbox) Westland Lysander, however, if you buy it from the Shuttleworth collection, you get an extra decal set to make their own Lysander, V9367 / MA-B an aircraft of 161 Squadron, flown by Pilot Officer Peter Vaughan-Fowler on operation Apollo during the winter of 1942. The Lysander in this configuration was often called the 'Spy taxi' as it was used to fly into occupied France where it would drop off / pick up agents, documents etc. The funny thing here is, searching for details of operation Apollo comes up with nothing - Is it still secret ?

Having said that, searching for detailed pic's of the SD Lysander was quite difficult. Plenty of the outside, nothing of the inside.

This is only my second 1:32 sale model, but being 1:32 means you can make things like aerial attachments out of scrap wire. I'm starting to see the attraction of big scale stuff !

View attachment 57542

View attachment 57543View attachment 57544View attachment 57545View attachment 57546View attachment 57547View attachment 57548View attachment 57549

And the last (poor quality) pic, had to be a night time shot.

View attachment 57550

So, the Revell Lysander. It's a bit rough in places, lacks a lot of detail, but it's really cheap. If the ugly duckling interests you, I'd say have a go.

Colin M...

View attachment 59489

View attachment 59490

View attachment 59491

View attachment 59492

View attachment 59493

View attachment 59494

View attachment 59495

View attachment 59496

View attachment 59497

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Night time ops.jpg

T

tecdes

Very nice indeed Colin.

Like your attention to those little extras the wiring you added in the internal parts. Also like that chipping which comes out perfectly.

Started mine last night & yes my first 1/32 but this has given me added interest & hope I can come close to your build.

Like your location for the pictures they give a nice background to the aircraft use. The ugly duckling bit gave me the interest &also the role it played with the French resistance etc.

Very nice work Colin.

Also thanks for my missing information on colours very nice of you to rumage in the dustbin copy & send to me much appreciated.

Laurie

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Colin. The finish is great and those close up shots look really authentic.

Well done and 5 stars from me.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice build Colin! The Lysander is a truly great aeroplane. 32 is a very large scale, where do you guys put your finished models? You just about need a hangar for real, especially when some are talking about 1/32 B-17s.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Colin

A lovely build with some great attention to detail I like how you made the aerial mast anchor point. There's some nice weathering and I think your modifying the control surface has really paid off, well done 5*

First Name
Chris
Nice job Colin, one of those aircraft on my to build list. 5* from me.

Regards

Chris

M

mobear

you done a real nice job on this worthy of 5*s from me

mobear

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic result colin , 5 stars! the all black scheme is perfect , nicely faded and modulated and the extra work and details youve put in are excellent. cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for taking time to have a look. The extra work I done to the wings took a long time, but I wasn't sure the end result was worth it. But now it's all done, I think it was, just !

As for the black, I used the old trick of a hint of red in the paint, well I say a hint, I got it so wrong on the first coat, it came out purple - I wished I had got a pic of that cock up.

Being such a large scale and yet basic kit, you can add and keep adding detail - loads of details, but eventually you have to stop yourself or you'll never get it finished. So, I could have gone on forever with the cockpit, but had to draw a line somewhere. I will say it's worth spending extra time on the 'pit as so much is visible, especially the rear part of the fuselage, and area I neglected. I didn't think it would be so visible going back into the fueslage, but it is.

The aerial support was a last minute thought, just some wire wrapped around a drill bit, dead easy and worked well.

Anyway, these walls won't paint themselves - so the wife says !