Revell 1:48 Mosquito MK IV ****Finished****

F

Fenlander

Been a bit of a mixed bag this build. The kit is very nice but it has some weird anomalies. Forgetting the stumpy spinners and the short undercarriage legs which are well documented (and to me matter not a jot) there are some odd things about it.

One is that you get two Merlin engines but have to take a knife to it to show them. All the doors and hatches that need to be in two parts for open are in one piece so, again, you have to resort to the knife. Then it has such a beautifully represented bomb bay that I was almost reluctant to put the bombs in as it covers the detail, assuming you are going to cut the doors open that is.

Then there is the way that you should build it. If you follow the instructions to the letter, not only will you have a nightmare painting it as the undercarriage all has to be fitted before the nacelles are completed, but your exhausts will be upside down....

The flame damper covers for the exhausts will not fit over the exhausts so you either leave the pipes off or cut them short as I did to fit the dampers on the enclosed port engine. Those and a few other quirks have made this an interesting build but not an unpleasant one. Decals are OK but I have suffered some silvering even with loads of Microset, Microsol and swearing (the latter is optional as, in truth, it does not help).

It has been my first multi engine WWII and my first with a black and camo scheme so it does stand out from the rest on my shelves.

All in all, a great kit for the money and possibly the most detailed 1:48 Mossie you will find, I have seen shots of the more expensive Tamiya and, OK, it is more accurate but no better detailed and I am not sure if they do it in the bomber version, they must do but I have not seen it. The clear parts are very well represented with various side windows for the canopy as required by the different versions that you can make it up as. There is no solid nose should you want it as a fighter bomber though.

Anyway, here are the finished shots. Not too happy with it, a few silly mistakes and a few lazy touches show themselves.

S

sprayman

Just grand, what more can I say.....how about F****g Gorgous....perfect job Graham.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
tell you what Graham, that aint to shabby! Actually I thing it looks very good. I'm on the look out for a good 1/48 mossy, and this might just fit the bill.

After what you said about the bomb bay, I might of found a bomb trolly and put the bombs on that and left the bay empty for all to see inside.

I see what you mean about the decals though. Yes its a shame but still a very good build and paint.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Graham ,very nice indeed. I knew you'd win in the end. I'd be dead pleased with that and I'm sure you are too.

Cheers

Steve

F

Ferrets Bueller

Very nice graham, looks like a good model. Cant see any mistakes so think maybe you where being a mit harsh on yourself

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pip pip, tally ho, old chap what.

Great job Graham, a nice addition to anyone's shelf...

Ron

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Excellent job Graham and as usual great pics to show it off

F

Fenlander

Cheers guys, it isn't too bad but I believe it could be better. I want Steve (Stona) to do one of these, bet he would enjoy showing me how to paint the camo properly ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Cheers guys, it isn't too bad but I believe it could be better.
I bet we all feel that way about every model we make! There's not much wrong with yours,it would grace any shelf.

Cheers

Steve

R

Richy C

Very nice Graham , now you`ve made me wan`t to get a Mosquito, its going on my xmas list, must say its a fine looking bird

Richy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Graham,

You're definitely being too harsh on yourself! I'd be over the moon if I had built summat that good!

OK, so it ain't perfect (decals), so what?! Perfection is what we all strive for, but it's a goal we'll never reach. As kits get better and we develop our skills as modellers, we keep adding more and more detail and realism to our models. But where does that stop? Do we get to the stage of making aircraft fuselages out of tissue-thin steel to get the scale thickness right? Do we try to make working hinges using human hair as hinge pins 'cos it's the right diameter?

I think a reasonable target would be to say "Can I see something that's obviously wrong when I look at it?" If you can, then there's room for improvement. If you can't, then I reckon that's about as 'perfect' as you need to be. You said it yourself in your post about telling stories in modelling. It's the story that counts - not the number and shape of the rivets!

I'm rambling again! Time to go.

Gern

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now that is a cracking job old bean, five stars for is one Graham.

Have fun, John

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the Mossie is almost as iconic as the Spitfire and this example show it off to perfection. The undercarriage may have been a challenge but it was worth it in the end as it looks fantastic. Great detail and a lovely model, you can hear those Merlins growl as you look at them.

C

Caledonia

One of my favourite WW2 aircraft, and you've presented it beautifully Graham, a very well deserved 5 Star. Cheers Derek

G

Gomer Pyle

Beautiful looking bird Graham. One of my absolute favorite aircraft. Smooth paint-job!

/Daniel

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
One of my faves, Graham. Nice job on what to me looks like a difficult model. I have a few in the stash (Tamiya and Revell) so I may just need to save this post!!!!! Take care, Jeff