Revell 1:72 Jaguar GR1 'Desert Storm'

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, as you can see it's not far off finished. Well that's the wife's fault for going on holiday and taking the good camera with here. Anyway, she's back now, so I can post a pic or two.

This is the Revell 1:72 Jaguar GR1 as used in Desert storm. The kit was boxed for Marks and Spencer. I believe it used to be the Tamiya and Italeri model in a previous life, but I'm not sure which came first. But, please don't think 'great cheap Tamiya' this old kit is certainly nothing like there new offerings. There are quite a few bits and pieces that just don't quite fit. Nothing major, it can all be sorted out, but it's just not Tamiya, or even up to modern Revell standard - I point you to Revell's excellent Tornado GR1, which many believe is the best on offer.

I also bought a bit of PE for this build just as a bit of practise for a more involved job later. The mainly is used in the cockpit.

As you can see, there is a bit of surface detail, so it's not too bad. Pic 4 (under the tail) shows humbrol metalcote polished aluminium. It's actually ok stuff. It hasn't shown up too well in the pic, but it's got me thinking how good it might look used in an overall colour scheme.

Regards

Colin M.........

View attachment 37482

View attachment 37483

View attachment 37484

View attachment 37485

View attachment 37486

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 32710

Yes, Ian, it's an alright kit - just don't pay extra for the old tamiya version !

So, onto the primer. I don't normally prime either this scale or when using enamel paints, but as this was moulded in a strange colour I thought I would go cross eyed trying to paint it, so primer it was.

Colin M......

View attachment 37544

Primer.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Colin just seen the same model on ebay looking at yours i may just put a bid in its looking good i'll be watching with interest

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
View attachment 32796

Just a bit more done. pre shading, paint and clear. The preshading is still showing through a bit too much, but I'm fairly sure ( well sort of) it will all tone down when the matt varnish goes on. Failing that, there's a trick I seen but not tried where you add some white paint to your clear coat to reproduce a faded paint look. I might need to try this !

Colin m........

View attachment 37607

Paint and clear.jpg

K

Kressy13

Hi mate. Looking good so far. I would like to see that trick. Sounds quite interesting.

Cheers

Kresten

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I just needed a bit of time off work to get this finished. Obviously that's not what I told the wife but you know what I mean !

So, the pictures are in the 'Aircraft pictures' section.

Colin M.......