Revell 1/72 Junkers F.13 Floatplane completed.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Took a bit to finish this, my wrist was playing up, and things with lots of struts are not for one handed assembly!
DSCF0947.JPGDSCF0942.JPG
DSCF0943.JPGDSCF0944.JPGDSCF0945.JPGDSCF0948.JPGDSCF0946.JPG

The model itself isn't bad - a detailed passenger cabin ( which you can't see ). I wanted to do the floatplane version - which isn't a good idea if you don't like struts - also the drabbest version. The landplane variants are more colourful, but have larger decals, getting small decals to sit down over the corrugations was tricky enough, using Humbrol Decalfix, so larger areas would really take a lot of effort. It's simple enough to assemble, if you go for the wheeled version. Masking over corrugations is not enjoyable, and I could go on touching up for a lot longer.........
Thanks for dropping in
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

That really is looking rather good. You should be pleased with your efforts and I can only imagine how much masking effort that corrugated bodywork must have taken.

A great little plane.

Well done.

Andrew

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Nice job and nice to see something a little different in the aircraft line

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks great. I didn’t realise it was so small until I saw the paint pot with it. A very interesting subject as well. I can imaging Indiana Jones style pulp fiction adventures involving it ;)

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I wonder how fast the F.13 floatplane was? The landplane version could cruise at 100 knots, but I bet the drag of the floats/struts brought that down! The engine was the Mercedes D.III - which was used in the Albatros D.V and the early Fokker D.VII fighters - rated at 170hp, although later developments pushed that to 185 hp.
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I don't know if you've seen Wikipedia (all caveats noted) but they apparently started to remake them in 2009 as closely as possible to the originals!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrew,
I've seen the YouTube Videos of the Rimowa Junkers F.13, but that has a Pratt & Witney radial engine, which doesn't look right..................
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nicely done Dave, the windows sure make it look Mickey Mouse like. Good you did the floatplane version as it is different and would have looked ordinary on wheels.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Dave and so very different. I think I like the look of corrugations.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Very nice Dave and so very different. I think I like the look of corrugations.
Colin,
If you like corrugations - try these
junkers 52.jpg
junkers g.38.jpg
( I have this in the stash albeit in a different boxing )
Or this, which I wasn't aware of!
junkers g-24.jpg

All good fun - nightmares for masking & decals!!!!!!!!!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Carl,
I used the AK 3rd generation Aluminium, it turned out to be a little 'whiter' than I expected, it may be that a MiG Aluminium may be a bit more metallic. It's very difficult to gauge the metallics, small patch tests don't really work, you have to spray the whole thing! Either way, a black primer seems to give the best base. Masking didn't really end up a problem - I used Tamiya masking sheet, and sealed the edges with varnish to prevent any creep...............
Dave

First Name
Carl
Carl,
I used the AK 3rd generation Aluminium, it turned out to be a little 'whiter' than I expected, it may be that a MiG Aluminium may be a bit more metallic. It's very difficult to gauge the metallics, small patch tests don't really work, you have to spray the whole thing! Either way, a black primer seems to give the best base. Masking didn't really end up a problem - I used Tamiya masking sheet, and sealed the edges with varnish to prevent any creep...............
Dave
When you say you varnish to prevent creep do you literally mean you varnish over the edge of the tape and then paint next layer over the top of the varnish as presumably there will be some varnish over the edge?

NickT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Cracking little model Dave - like it a lot !