Revell 1:72 Panther Tank

K

Krieg-Hammer

Well, I've certainly been doing a lot of reading up before I started this model. For most of you, this will be fairly easy, but I've got to start somewhere. Practising on the small models before I attempt my 1:35 scale Tiger.

Been glueing bits of the hull and turret through the week and primed it with Halfords Primer for Plastics (red) this morning at work (don't have a workshop in my house). Once Primer is dry, I shall post pics of what I have done so far. Any tips along the way would be most welcome.

Kind Regards

Rob

K

Krieg-Hammer

Primer is now dry..... I guess the next thing to do will be to either prime the wheels whilst still in the sprue, or air brush a coat of Dark yellow on for the base of my Camouflage scheme. That Halfords stuff seemed to work a treat. I kept about a 2ft distance during spraying so I didnt cause any runs.

View attachment 23669

View attachment 30279

IMAG0102.jpg

K

Krieg-Hammer

Had a wee hiccup before I started to airbrush the dark yellow on the hull, turret and wheels. Used Tamiya Acrylic for this. Actually turned out quite well for a first attempt! The next task will be applying the dark green and brown for the camo scheme. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.......

View attachment 23758

View attachment 30361

IMAG0108.jpg

S

sprayman

I always enjoy watching you guys build 1:72, and this Panther is looking spot on, look forward to the paint job.

K

Krieg-Hammer

This is only my 3rd model and first attempt with an airbrush. :o ) Big improvement I'd say compared to the first two models I made.. Painted with brushes... Airfix Tiger 1:75 scale...... One thing is apparent that Revell have far greater detail compared to Airfix!!

Anyway, it will be another 3 weeks before I do any more work on the model as I am off on holiday tomorrow!

View attachment 23759

View attachment 30362

IMAG0049.jpg

Last edited:
K

Krieg-Hammer

Having an annoying little bit of trouble. Missing an individual track link. If anyone can help, fantastic!!!

I appealed on chit chat but not had as much luck.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/chit-chat/11769-spare-track-link-anyone.html#post88752

K

Krieg-Hammer

Track links arrived yesterday... I can now build again!

K

Krieg-Hammer

View attachment 26960

This is work I managed to do with existing track link spruce I had. Was only missing one track link, but think I will paint the individual links for the other side of the tank in the new spruce that just arrived.

Anyway, for this (first time ive ever painted track links so any helpful tips will be useful), I used Halfords base primer for plastics, then a coat of Nato black (XF-69) using an air brush, let it set (it was left for weeks as I was still trying to find missing track link). Then I applied Panzer aces dark rust all over the tracks, top and bottom. That was left to dry. Then with Panzer Aces light right rust, I wasnt sure how to best apply it so experimented with both sets of tracks. The first one, I sort of dabbed it on with paint. The second track, I dry brushed it on. I found the dry brushing effect looked better. Then finally I dry brushed Panzer Aces Oily steel on areas where I would think would be under wear and tear when the tracks are in motion.

The next thing for me is to get the other links done..

View attachment 32839

IMAG0156.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I think this is coming along very nicely and the tracks are looking pretty good. Just my own thought is that I probably woyuldn't have bothered priming a 1/76th model as you run the risk of loosing detail however using acrylics with acre and attention I'm sure it will be OK. It's probably more me being lazy and looking for a way of avoiding it!

I have to keep reminding myself how small this moe is, I can't remember the last time I built a tank this size.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yep they look good. Wise move painting them on the sprue!

Ian M

K

Krieg-Hammer

For a small tank it is taking its time... what is daunting to me is trying to airbrush the thing next with a camo pattern.... :o (

K

Krieg-Hammer

Ok camo paint applied. Will get pics up soon. Do I apply Matt varnish before weathering? If not, I plan to apply an oil wash and maybe some pigments and acrylic thinner as a weathering touch (first time at doing this). I have used acrylic based paints.

K

Krieg-Hammer

Not so good... super glue and acrylic paint dont agree! Glued the spare tracks onto the side before I apply the gloss varnish.... Caused the acrylic paint to run!

Last edited:
K

Krieg-Hammer

View attachment 27510

Ok, I am at a dilemna point. Do I put the tracks on and side skirts then gloss over before the oil wash? Or do I gloss over, then add the side skirts and tracks?

I am quite happy with what I have achieved so far with a small model. There were a lot of firsts! Especially airbrushing! The weathering part will only make it more interesting.

View attachment 33356

IMAG0174.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been quietly watching this come together Hammer, and it's looking good now.

Regarding your Dilemma. I am firmly in the camp that thinks adding 'Klear' or glossing any armour is not neccessary. Take a look at real ordinance, it's really dull.

Personally, I would forget the gloss, fit everything, weather the whole thing and add some dust.

Some folks weather the tracks before fitting. I prefer to fit them first.

Everyone has a different take on the finish they prefer and how they go about it, so go with what you think will look right and are happy with.

Ron

K

Krieg-Hammer

The purpose of the gloss varnish is to seal everything in including the decals before the weathering process. After oil, dirt and mud applied I will then apply a Matt varnish to seal the whole job.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sound good to me Hammer. (does that really say that on your birth certificate!?)

Never really thought about how little this kit is until I just saw the last picture you posted holding it in your hand!!!! Dude!

Ian M

K

Krieg-Hammer

Well this build was really a practise of the methods that I have come across before I move onto the 1:35 scale. Make all mistakes with this one so when I do come to the larger models it should go more smoothly. Last night I was assembling the tank tracks.... tedious to say the least!