Revell 1:72 Tornado GR1 - - Gulf War

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, as my gardening is up to date, I've been able to satisfy my yearning for a bit of plastic.

The Revell 1:72 Tornado is accepted as being one of the best in this scale and only costs around £10.00 The level of detail at this price is amazing. Having said that I did fancy some new seats, just because the Aires resin seats looked great and were hiding a bit of a surprise. The seats came with P.E. harnesses - bonus.

I also managed to track down some gulf war decals which are getting a bit rare these days. These are for 'Mig Eater' but I think have the wrong coloured shark mouth, but that's something I'll have to live with.

View attachment 27213View attachment 27214View attachment 27215

So far, the fit has been great, although the seats are a bit big for the office, but should be fine.

Right, I'm off to stick something together.

Regards

Colin M.....

View attachment 33065

View attachment 33066

View attachment 33067

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I like anything to do with GR Tornados. Brings back fond memories :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I too like a nice Tonka.

That cock pit looks very busy for a 1/72! Good job.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, sounds like Allyne knows a thing or two about these beasts, I hope I do the Tornado justice. Ian, Tonka, where does that term come from ? I've read it a few times and always wondered ?

So, onto the model, I've been a bit distracted again, but have managed to get a bit done. One thing I've noticed is that everyone displays this model on the ground, gear deployed, wings forward - and why not, this method of display lets a lot of detail to be shown. However, with the wings swept back, the model takes on a whole new look and this is the way I'm going to go. OK I'll loose a bit of detail but at least will have a model a bit different from the norm.

View attachment 27677View attachment 27679View attachment 27678

I've used Humbrol Metal cote for the exhaust (their spelling not mine) which looks a bit better in real life. Pre-shading again ! This time I've used a complimentary colour instead of the normal black, we'll see how this works. As ever, if I get this wrong, there's always post shading to save me !!

Regards

Colin M.......

View attachment 33481

View attachment 33482

View attachment 33483

Exhausts.JPG

Front LHS.jpg

RHS.jpg

M

munkster

Nice, been thinking about getting one of these for a bit - if anyone's interested Amazon seem to be selling them the cheapest online, bizarrely, at £10.19 free P&P. It's the kit with the paints included which I doubt anyone on here will need to use, but for that price who cares! I presume it's the same model kit in the box...

Link: Model Set 4619 Tornado GR MK 1 RAF 1:72th: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Nice, been thinking about getting one of these for a bit - if anyone's interested Amazon seem to be selling them the cheapest online, bizarrely, at £10.19 free P&P. It's the kit with the paints included which I doubt anyone on here will need to use, but for that price who cares! I presume it's the same model kit in the box...Link: Model Set 4619 Tornado GR MK 1 RAF 1:72th: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
That's it - get it, at least the glue is useful !

M

munkster

That's it - get it
I'd better not. I "accidentally" won a 1/48 Tamiya Me262 on eBay earlier this evening and I said* I wasn't buying any more models until I'd built the ones I'd got... Oops... :guilty:

*well, technically, I was told that this was what was going to happen. There's no written contract. Ahem.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tonka as in tonka toy. Real tough toys for real tough boys... Na, I believe it was a nick-name from the pilots. They also called them 'The Fin' I have been lead to believe.

Allyne will set us right on that one.

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well, sounds like Allyne knows a thing or two about these beasts, I hope I do the Tornado justice..
I used to work on 14 Sqn when they had Tornado GR1 aircraft out at RAF Bruggen, Germany and i also worked on XV® Sqn when they had Tornado GR4 aircraft at RAF Lossiemouth. I love them and still listen out for the RB199 engines when they are flying about. I'm sure you'll make a cracking model out of the kit Colin

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Tonka as in tonka toy. Real tough toys for real tough boys... Na, I believe it was a nick-name from the pilots. They also called them 'The Fin' I have been lead to believe.Allyne will set us right on that one.

Ian M
Tonka toys was the reasoning behind it that i heard too. But i'm not sure on it. They are also known as the Norfolk Land Shark around RAF Marham as because the area is flat all you normally see when they are taxing is the 'fin'

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi colin, looking good mate. I always like to see a tornado in desert pink, and it looks like this is going to be a cracker! It seems like a nice kit,unlike the airfix 1/48 i got ages ago off e-bay. Its got the gulf decals (for mig eater) and the proper weapons fit,even including a couple of JP 233's !!! Trouble is the actual kit is one of the worst available in this scale,i was thinking about getting an italeri one and using the airfix decals and jp 233's and binning the airfix kit! Keep up the great work, cant wait to see a lovely ,dirty gulf tornado at the end, cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Coming along a treat Colin.

As Tony says, it will look great all 'deserted up'!

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the input everyone. Tonka, as in Tonka toy, sounds good - I had a few when i was a kid, tough as anything. Anyone remember the advert with an elephant resting a foot on a Tonka toy ? Anyway what's that got to do with it, odd how recall works................

That's a shame about the Airfix Tornado Tony, it must be an old kit, but at least you've got all the gulf war goodies to use elsewhere. I've had to guess a bit with the revell kit as it's not a gulf war version, but I think the weapons / tanks supplied were used later in the war after they stopped using the JP233's - time will tell ! This one is going to be 'Mig eater' but the decals I've found for it appear to have the wrong colour shark mouth, mine is red and blue, do you remember what colour is in the Airfix kit ?

So, I've managed a bit more. I lightened the humbrol 250 with a bit of white before painting, the idea being I could use neat H250 for the post shading. However, even though the photos don't show it too well the pre shading has done its job quite well hence no post shading required, well except on the tanks which missed the preshading !

View attachment 27690View attachment 27691

Regards

Colin M...........

View attachment 33494

View attachment 33495

Above.jpg

Underside.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi colin, the shark mouth on the airfix decal sheet is red and black ,which is right for this aircraft (see attached link) Coastal Command History - Squadrons there is a tornado with a blue and red sharksmouth ,i think it was named 'cherry lips' The airfix decal also has marking for 3 other gulf tornadoes -anola kay,armoured charmer and sally t. so ive got quite a choice if i ever get a decent kit to put them on!! cheers tony

View attachment 33668

View attachment 33669

P1090101 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1090102 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for clearing that up Tony, your info unfortunately proves my shark mouth is wrong, two others used 'my' colour of mouth but not Mig eater. However, it's something I'll have to live with as it's the only shark mouth I've got, so it's going on.

As I type, I'm just waiting for the weapons to dry in position, then I might just get the mat varnish on, oh, it's nearly 2200 - maybe not ! still, no work tomorrow........

Regards

Colin M.........

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi colin, shame about that but i wouldnt worry , the colours faded fast in the desert sun and the tornadoes were very weathered ,as can be seen from the excellent pics on the website on the link. .As a matter of fact,ive only just been looking on e-bay for an italeri tornado , seeing yours has made me want to get one to complete my gulf war trio in 1/48 (buccaneer ,jaguar,tornado) Im impatient to use the awesome jp233's and cant wait to do a really mucky gulf paint job! Cant wait to see yours too, keep the pics coming, cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Aren't bank holidays brilliant, I've managed to finish my Gulf war Tornado. The photo's are in the 'Aircraft pictures' section. Yes OK sorry this wasn't much of a work in progress thread, I'll try harder next time.

Regards

Colin M............