Revell ( Eduard ) 1/48 Albatros D.III - Finally!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Being kept away from the bench by my OA wrist has been frustrating - but finally managed to get this finished.DSCF1080.JPGDSCF1081.JPGDSCF1082.JPGDSCF1083.JPGDSCF1084.JPGDSCF1085.JPG

It's been about 2 years since my last 1/48 biplane, I've had to dredge my memory for the methods I used in the past.
The wood fuselage painting was challenging, and it took many attempts to get it as close as possible, and I'm happy with that.
The Revell/Eduard model is comparatively simple ( as far as any biplane is simple ), went together well, no filler being used. Not impressed with the AK Air Series Acrylic WWI colours - brush coverage was very poor & needed 3 coats! One ting I need to address is the rigging material - it's allegedly 0.4mm, but looks much bigger - I've now got some 0.2mm, which should be better.
I got this model in a sale ( surprise surprise ) for about £10 - for the enjoyment that is a real bargain.
WWI planes aren't everbodies cup of tea, but rewarding. I've looked at 1/32 models by Copper State Models, Roden & the now defunct Wingnut Wings, but the exponential rise in price from 1/48 to 1/32 puts me off, not to mention display size.
Thanks for dropping by - I'm pondering on my next build - it will be a WWI biplane.................................
Dave
p.s. the Fokker Dr.I took a impromptu flight test when I was trying to add rigging - the fragile undercarriage took a bad hit & it's now in a jig, hopefully repairable...........................

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That is really nice. The wood finish has worked a treat. All in all a most eyecatching model.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great build Dave. The plywood looks ace. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Your should be very pleased with that indeed. Absolutely nothing to complain about their.

ATB

Andrew

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
WOW, that is brilliant Dave, i really like how you've done the wood effect, it really looks bang on, it's an excellent and inspiring result mate.. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Dave. The wood grain came out very well.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Top work Dave, I just love the wood effects and have been staring at them the past few minutes.