Revell /Monogram F-16 C fighting falcon 1/48 Mojo restorer

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all , heres something I picked out of the stash as a quick (relatively speaking!) trouble free build to try and regain my mojo. Ive been so busy with work and the lack of time plus the cold weather meant I just seemed to lose my enthusiasm for modelling . I'm hoping a straightforward build will get my juices flowing again . The kit is the 'Air team' (Thunderbirds) boxing which i picked up for £4.99 at Home Bargains in Chesterfield a few months back (I also got a F-105 Thunderstick in 1/48 for the same price !) I dont have any interest in the Thunderbirds but the kit has a second decal option for a grey camo F-16c so thats the one I'm doing .The kit is typical monogram being a mixture of raised and recessed panel lines and some lovely detail in places. The cockpit however isnt brilliant having decals for the consoles and instrument panel which are very simplified. Theres no open canopy option but i still felt these needed replacing so ive ordered an Eduard zoom set. If anyone wants the unused Thunderbirds decals then let me know and you can have them . heres the box and sprue shots , cheers tonyDSCN3102.JPGDSCN3103.JPGDSCN3104.JPGDSCN3105.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Heh, the F-16 is older than I have always been lead to believe … apparently they were already flying in 1966 (or does that say 1968?). I guess they never got deployed to Vietnam, which is why this is not common knowledge.

:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
:smiling2::smiling2: I didnt notice that Jakko , obviously a misprint (mind you the kit does say made in china on the inside of the fuselage so maybe the chinese printed the instructions too ) Imagine that too an f-16 in SEAC colours, that would have looked good! I think its meant to say 1986 when the f-16 s were based at Ramstein . cheers tony

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
Nice choice Tony.Ive looked in Southend Home Bargains several times .But they never have any kits.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice Tony.Ive looked in Southend Home Bargains several times .But they never have any kits.
Its only once in a blue moon dave ,but when they do theyre usually cheap . they only had the f-16 and f-105 but quite a few of them , they must have bought a job lot or something , I looked again a few weeks later and there was nothing . Keep looking every time you go in ,you might drop on a bargain one day , cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Imagine that too an f-16 in SEAC colours, that would have looked good!
That was my very thought this morning when I noticed the misprint, yes: “Maybe build an F-16 in green and tan …” but then I figured I’ve already got not only an F-16 but a couple of AFVs to finish and definite plans for what to start after those.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres where Im at currently. The basic cockpit is supplied with very poor decals , these just being random white circles (see pic) so this has been jazzed up with the Eduard zoom PE. The kit supplies a surprisingly accurate and detailed representation of the ACES 2 ejector seat , which to be honest would have been perfectly acceptable just painted up under a closed canopy, even the moulded on belts were accurate in size shape and position. Seeing as how id got the eduard set though ,i thought id use it so the belts and pull handles were added to the kit seat . Ive also added a few strips of plastic card to the cockpit sidewalls to represent this area better and a throttle has been added to the port sidewall. This is now ready to go in and the fuselage halves (top and bottom) can then be joined and the canopy installed . Speaking of which, I know the F-16s canopy has a slight tint to it so im debating whether to try and replicate this or not , maybe a light misting with thinned Tamiya X19 Smoke ? cheers tonyDSCN3116.JPGDSCN3117.JPGDSCN3107.JPGDSCN3108.JPGDSCN3106.JPGDSCN3110.JPGDSCN3111.JPGDSCN3112.JPGDSCN3113.JPGDSCN3114.JPG .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The cockpit tint can vary a lot, but as I recall, it’s a kind brownish grey, so Tamiya Smoke should do, probably thinned down a bit. I’d try it on some spare transparent material first before painting the canopy, though. Here’s a whole lot of F-16 detail pics — scroll to almost halfway down to get to cockpit/canopy photos (the quicker way to get there is to search on the page for “cockpit”).

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The cockpit tint can vary a lot, but as I recall, it’s a kind brownish grey, so Taniya Smoke should do, probably thinned down a bit. I’d try it on some spare transparent material first before painting the canopy, though. Here’s a whole lot of F-16 detail pics — scroll to almost halfway down to get to cockpit/canopy photos (the quicker way to get there is to search on the page for “cockpit”).
Excellent ! Thanks for that jakko , those pics will be very useful. Interesting point on the canopy too , the rear non hinging section looks a different tint to the front part , maybe ill try and replicate that too. Cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If I’d have to guess, I’d say thst might be because of mix-and-match parts on the real aircraft? If the canopy tint varies, then I doubt people fitting the two pieces to a plane would take the trouble to make sure they’re both the same.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice start Tony, thanks for the tip about the Home Bargains, we go to Chesterfield regularly so I'll bear them in mind. I like to call into Hobby Craft and have a laugh at their prices.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start Tony, thanks for the tip about the Home Bargains, we go to Chesterfield regularly so I'll bear them in mind. I like to call into Hobby Craft and have a laugh at their prices.
Sorry mick If i’d known someone else on here was near chesterfield i’d have put a post on alerting people to them . Next time ill know, cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Starting to look a bit like an aircraft now the top and bottom fuselage halves have been glued. Ive primed and metalcoted the exhaust nozzle so i can mask this up before fitting to the fuselage as it would be a pain if i left it till later. Ive been cleaning up various bits too ready for assembly later , the stabilators being something that required sorting — why do some makers still insist on stamping their name on parts that are visible!!!! ( see pics) ive also been cleaning up the undercarriage leg links and drilling some holes to improve the appearance , see before and after on the sprue. The canopy has had its tint applied , after various experiments i used johnsons klear with a bit of brown and green ink mixed in for the front section ( brushed on the inside of the canopy) and tamiya x19 smoke neat for the rear section 6BF86CB7-F05A-4E54-8076-5731EE8653C9.jpeg64985C6E-C206-4052-8020-8D012C2A725F.jpeg03514D7D-99E6-488E-9CDB-FDD162D7DC6D.jpegC8B351F1-F147-428E-839A-03533B791091.jpeg319197E7-6E98-44FC-9977-4119FB5557B7.jpeg86878B65-58F5-44C6-AF1E-4254B1F82FB7.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice. I really like the look of the F16, but still haven't built one. Maybe I'll treat myself at Cosford.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done , the intake section has been attached and the wheel well divider and rear bulkhead fitted . The rear bulkhead is one piece including the undercarriage legs but this has to be fitted at this stage because it goes behind the central divider - I'll just have to be careful not to snap them off from now on!The airframe has had a general clean up ,the few seams that are visible having a smear of filler but nothing too serious. DSCN3166.JPGDSCN3167.JPGDSCN3168.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Seat is in the cockpit and HUD fitted ( not the kit part but a bit of my trusty holographic confetti cut to shape) the canopy is now ready to go on once ive masked it and sprayed the frame black. Ive given the ring just behind the exhaust petals a misting of transparent blue as this area is quite prominent on the real thing, I’ll be adding a bit of highlighting to the petals later with eye shadow. The exhaust section has been fitted as well as the nose ( after a little weight added just to be on the safe side!) , and these joints are yet to be cleaned up. Its starting to resemble an f-16 now , next up is attaching the canopy and tail. 0CD94742-5F4B-4438-B537-89A33496C4FD.jpeg9D0C833F-A52E-4EDE-8309-4BA0D1402D3A.jpegBAD3647A-D53B-4BD7-96CC-93760090308F.jpegA2BF54C6-EBE4-4AF1-ADC4-89D01F501FCE.jpeg893917F5-1A50-4BD9-A590-894CFFDCD326.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Canopy masked and fitted and all the components of the airframe are on too. Its had a primer coat of Halfords grey aerosol and any areas that needed further attention have been sorted with vallejo acrylic putty . Its now had a further misting of primer and is ready for the first colour - model air light ghost grey . 50ABBD15-CA8F-4845-9963-AA2CC3BF2B34.jpeg1E7EB4D7-E68A-4559-B6AB-CFF1E8B3C130.jpeg