Revell P-61 'Black Widow' 1/48

First Name
Michael
Ok. My next build. Picked this kit up at the Scottish show a few weeks ago. Love the plane and fancied a go at building one when I saw the new box Revell kit but saw this one at the show, I think the plastic is the same as the new box version.

There are only four of these planes in existence today, three are static exhibits and the fourth is a crashed plane found in the Pacific and undergoing a massive rebuild.

The P-61 was the first US purpose built nightfighter and although late to WWII made a very worthy contribution and was much loved by its crews.

I've yet to start but will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers M

View attachment 48542

View attachment 48543

View attachment 48544

View attachment 48545

View attachment 48546

P 61 001.jpg

P 61 005.jpg

P 61 006.jpg

P 61 007.jpg

P 61 008.jpg

H

hoggatt

Looks a pretty cool plane.. Look forward to seeing your progress, good luck

Shane

T

treyzx10r

Michael good luck with that one ,it will try your patience ! Looking forward to seeing it get underway!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am not into 48 scale but I am tempted by the new mold Great Wall version simply because it is such a nice aircraft..... I will watch this with interest.

First Name
Dave
I built this last year.Its an old Monogram kit but still a nice one to build.A word of advice though.You will need around 50 grams weight in the nose radome to stop the model sitting on its tail.

First Name
Michael
Ok.....managed to get a bit started on this, there is a lot of flash...everywhere, so lots of cleaning up, I'm not keen on the black colour of the plastic, ok it all comes good with a coat of primer but the black colour is I find not so nice to work with. On top of that I painted the office interior the wrong colour, just a stupid mistake on my part it should be Grey/Green but mine is, well, grey/grey, it's going to stay that way I'm afraid. Dry fit on the main fuse looks a bit ropey.

Oh well, all good fun.

Here's a couple of poor pics, I'm going to smarten up the office and I'll post some better photos

View attachment 48617

View attachment 48618

View attachment 48619

View attachment 48620

P 61 001.jpg

P 61 002.jpg

P 61 003.jpg

P 61 004.jpg

H

hoggatt

I wouldn't of know what he colour was wrong.. Looks great so far mate.

Shane

T

treyzx10r

Michael I do'nt think there are many rivet counters on this forum so do'nt sweat the color miscue . The office still looks really great. You might try a wash with some citadel yellow it might tint it just enough without destroying your excellent detail work. You think the fuse fit is ropey wait until you get to the canopy! Looking forward to the next update,cheers Trey

First Name
Michael
Ok, bit more done but going a little slow on this, fit is not exactly top class, side windows were a terrible fit and as warned by Trey the canopy looks awful.

Also I've a bit missing/lost, the pilots chair (part 35), so I've bought a sheet of styrene and I'm going to have a go at making a replacement, I'll let you know how it goes.

View attachment 48981

View attachment 48982

View attachment 48983

saber 026.jpg

saber 028.jpg

saber 029.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Michael the center pod is looking great. I did this kit years ago and seem to remember adding some sheet styrene behind the canopy to get the fit right. I'm sure you'll tackle it fine! Incedently I got this kit(again) as a gift months ago and you're inspiring me to maybe ,think about,possibly digging into it;) or I could just slam my dangly bits in a rusty truck door! Looking forward to the next update ,cheers Trey

First Name
Michael
Got the missing part of the pilots seat made and the seat fitted.

The canopy is a poor fit so I'm trying to improve it with some pieces of styrene glued to the fuselage where it meets the clear part, I've stuck them on and will trim fill ans sand them when the glue has cured.

Thanks for the encouragement guys and Trey I may be looking for a suitable rusty truck myself before this is over.

Cheers m

View attachment 49066

View attachment 49067

View attachment 49068

View attachment 49069

View attachment 49070

P 61 011.jpg

P 61 015.jpg

P 61 017.jpg

P 61 018.jpg

P 61 019.jpg

M

mobear

i`m strangely drawn to watch this being built,looks an awesome plane,and you are doing an amazing job

mobear

First Name
Michael
Slow going here but then there's a lot of little fit issues , nothing is going together quite as well as I would like. The clear parts are especially bad so I'm having to do what is for me quite a lot of work trying to get them to fit, that said I'm quite enjoying it, I would have perhaps in the past just made do with the poor fit so it's a challenge and rewarding (I hope) putting it right.View attachment 46067View attachment 46068View attachment 46069

View attachment 49119

View attachment 49120

View attachment 49121

P 61 001.jpg

P 61 002.jpg

P 61 003.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Michael looks like ya got the poor fit areas well in hand,looking great!!

First Name
Dave
This is coming along nicely michael.I really enjoyed building mine last year.As you say,the fit of parts isnt brilliant and i used a fair amount of filler.Like you i had to use plastic card to fill the gaps in various places on the canopies.But its a good looking model when finished.I bought my kit in the early nineties when it was sold by Monogram.The decals were not very good and i had to buy an after market decal sheet.The Revell decals in your kit should be a lot better.

A

andyrobs

Hi Micheal I started this kit last year (theres a thread somewhere!!!) I agree about the fit, and plenty of filler needed. I got about 75% built and lost a bit of enthusiasm. I'll have to get back i to it I think!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

First Name
Michael
Hi again, ok back to this Black Widow, made a bit of progress, most of the clears are on, quite a bit of masking, and dry test fit to all the main parts. Wing roots need improving but it's better than I could have hoped for.

I am enjoying this kit, it's a completely different animal to the likes of a modern Tamiya kit but no less fun, even if I feel the need to put it away for a bit, It's pretty big when put together and hopefully will look ok.

Andrew, you should think about digging your nearly finished one out. Thanks for all the encouraging words. M

View attachment 49523

View attachment 49524

View attachment 49525

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It looks like you are beating this one into submission!

I agree with you about this type of build. Whilst it is always nice to have a kit that drops together there is something satisfying about overcoming the problems of a ,shall we say,less precise kit. It certainly helps to develop skills and techniques.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Way to tackle the fit demons Michael, you've got it well on its way to a great looking finish!