Revell Packard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
These old kits (1950s?) of old cars take a bit of work but can build into great models. It will be an interesting build to follow.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The Revell Highway Pioneers kits are usually quoted as 1/32, and they do indeed come from the 1950s. Never having held one, and compared it to, say, Airfix, Matchbox, or Pyro 1/32 kits, who can say?
Well, someone on here will know!

Apparently, after a quick search of teh intrawebs, there was a Dapol series called Highway Pioneers too, but they had figures?

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
a kit made before most of us were born...?
No No No - Like a lot of members - I have a few more years than that! I suspect that the model is earlier than '59 - more like '54 - it's supposed to be 1/32 - and it maybe originally from Merit, or Hudson Miniatures, so it is actually older than me!
Dave

Packard_4.JPG

The main 'cab' put together, black inside and the seat brown. The parts stick where they touch, with some gaps and sink holes...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Off to a good start. The fit on these old kits is often a bit iffy. Just needs patience, a lot of fettling and dry fitting and a bucket of filler :smiling:

Packard_7.JPG
Initial colours laid on to a few parts. The instructions call for 'Brown', 'Black', 'Yellow' etc
The primer and brown are Tamiya rattle can colours.
The seat and the yellow are acrylics via a hairy stick....

Packard_8.JPG
More of the major sub-assemblies resting loosely in place.
The fit of the suspension units is precarious - very little gluing surface...
The gold colour called for in the instructions is Tamiya rattle can - not sure how I am going to finish the radiator grille...

Packard_9.JPG
The carriage section has the final 'brown' sprayed on and the bonnet has the third coat of very thin 'yellow' brushed on.
Attempt one of making the radiator look realistic has, so far, the 'gold' sprayed on and some black brushed into the grille - I now need to work out how to highlight the grid part with silver...
Not sure how to do this yet.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on very well. Dry fitting and patience, as you're doing, is the way forward.
The "grid" part of the radiator is raised, I assume, so a couple of ways to go about silvering it.
Firstly dry brush with silver to pick out the mesh. A second way would be paint overall silver, a couple of coats, then paint overall black. Now very gently sand back the raised mesh to reveal the underlying silver.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
If the kit was made in 1959 it means that at the time the kit was released an original car would be younger than the kit is today - time flies!

Peter

If the kit was made in 1959 it means that at the time the kit was released an original car would be younger than the kit is today - time flies!

Peter
Yes - by about 25 years...!
It's amazing to think that someone was building this kit 60 years ago....

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

Peter
Wow Peter, that has to the fact of the day. :smiling: :thumb2: I'd have had to take my shoes and socks off to work that one out!!!!:rolling::sick:

Packard_10.JPG
Dry brushed silver onto the grille over the black. Think I'll leave it like that.
Also tried to make the starting crank look like it's chrome plated with a wooden hand grip...