Revell sopwith triplane 1/72

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres the old revell sopwith triplane, an ancient mould thats still going strong. I picked this up for £2.99 and its not too bad considering its age! theres a bit of flash on the mouldings and it wont hurt to add a few details but it also has great decals and should be a quick (ish) cheap build. The kit only supplies a seat and thats it,so i added some scratchbuilt belts and control stick and instrument panel. The rest of the detail is just painted on the sidewalls as not a lot can be seen once its together. There are a couple of ejector pin marks to fill but this is easily sorted. once i got the fuselage halves together there was a bit of a step on the underneath of the cowling which needed a bit of plastic card and filler to sort it but again ,no problem. heres the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 39245

View attachment 39246

View attachment 39247

View attachment 39248

P1100148 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100149 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100150 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100151 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

A

AJay

This one looks fun, Tony. Look forward to seeing it progress.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice start Tony.

I built an SE5 from revell at about the same price. Sure it's a bit basic, but at that price I was quite happy with it. Hang on a second, tri-plane, does that mean no rigging ?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Unfortunately no,colin, its got a fairly complicated arrangement , not only is it cross braced (going through the middle wings!) but the tail and wheel struts are also braced ,as well as the 3 connected ailerons . I hope i can get enough done to make it look realistic but i might use a bit of artistic licence and maybe miss a few off!!! cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Tony it looks as old as the swordfish ive just finished hope you have as much fun building this one as i did ? looking good so far

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Unfortunately no,colin, its got a fairly complicated arrangement , not only is it cross braced (going through the middle wings!) but the tail and wheel struts are also braced ,as well as the 3 connected ailerons . I hope i can get enough done to make it look realistic but i might use a bit of artistic licence and maybe miss a few off!!! cheers tony
I don't blame you. Although I did think you might be taking the easy way out with a Tri plane ! What are you going to use to rig a 1:72 plane ?

Colin m.........

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
I don't blame you. Although I did think you might be taking the easy way out with a Tri plane ! What are you going to use to rig a 1:72 plane ?Colin m.........
ill be using 2lb fishing line colin, its very thin and glues ok with superglue, tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got a bit more done yesterday. The cowling underside has been filled and sanded and the two exhausts have been added from brass tube. I have also drilled the inspection holes in the wheel covers and added the flat piece to the axle,which was also sanded to shape and thinned a bit. Im hoping to get some primer on everything later then ive got to figure out the best order of construction, painting,decalling and rigging!! cheers tony

View attachment 39299

View attachment 39300

View attachment 39301

View attachment 39302

View attachment 39303

P1100166 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100167 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100168 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100169 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100170 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Little bit more done, although its going to be on hold for a few days now as im going away for a quick break. Ive got the main parts in primer (well, all of them actually --there arent that many!!)and assembled the undercarriage and engine and cowling. Ive drilled a few holes in the tail and under the cowling ready for the rigging , but ill have to wait until the middle wing is fitted till i can drill the ones in the top and bottom wings and cut out the holes where they pass through the middle one. Im going to be brush painting this one mainly as it would be a bugger to mask up and spray!! im going to use games workshop acrylics as they brush really well , the colours are going to be rotting flesh for the underside and catachan green for the top. Before the colour police start kicking in my door,let me add that the colours of these aircraft were very varied , the pc10 for the top could range from green to brown and the clear doped linen undersides also varied enormously due to different batches of cloth, staining by dirt and castor oil from the engine and general wear, so whos to say whats right or wrong.? Until someone shows me an original piece of fabric or an unrestored perfectly preserved aircraft, i reckon if it looks right to me then it'll do!! heres the pics , cheers tony Edit: sorry about the terrible fuzzy pics ,i must have had the camera on the wrong setting!!!!

View attachment 39407

View attachment 39408

View attachment 39409

View attachment 39410

View attachment 39411

P1100181 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100182 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100184 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100185 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100186 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Latest progress on the tripehound-- painted, kleared and decalled, ready for the matt coat, then its assembly time!! The decals were revells usual excellent standard and went on perfectly.Before assembling the wings ive got to stick on the vickers 303 gun, which has had a tiny section of brass tube added as the barrel (because it looks better? -or was it cause i broke the other one off cleaning the flash off the gun !!!?) heres the pics ,, cheers tony

View attachment 39805

View attachment 39806

View attachment 39807

P1100210 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100209 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1100212 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

S

Sky Raider

Missed this one mate. Looks very nice, loving the paint job and the decs are spot on.

Great job

Andy

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Alway impressed by your builds.

really nice paint job.

Tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice Tony, but you're going to have to explain your wood to me, it looks great. I've read so many different ways to do it, some seem quite complex, so what's your trick ? I was at the shuttleworth collection on Saturday looking at real props, how are we supposed to get that sort of grain in 1:72 ??

Colin M.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Tony don't know how you build on such a small scale.

Vaughan.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers chaps, colin , the grain on the prop was very simple, i just gave it a coat of brown ( Games workshop vermin brown) the when dry, i gave it a coat of black which i straight away wiped most of it off lengthways with a dry brush. Then when that was dry i gave it a coat of tamiya x26 clear orange. I did the same thing for the struts and plywood decking round the cockpit. Hoping to get the wing assembly started today , then its just the rigging. :thumbsdown: .cheers tony