Revell u-99 sunken diorama.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
\ said:
A great model and very nicely done!And yes, it would rest better there. I moved it for you.

Ian M
Thanks Ian :smiling3:

Si:smiling3:
 

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
8,783
Points
113
First Name
Ron
I've just had a pleasant second brows at this Si....and I've just got to 'ave a bash'!

The effect you have accomplished is quite brilliant......

Cheers,

Ron
 
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
399
Points
43
First Name
rob
\ said:
You're not the first person to be put off by my sunken models, some folk, like yourself, come back and then have a good look and then are interested. Others are put off and cannot understand why I would want to do any sunken models, I have even being called callous for doing the H.M.S Edinburgh wreck; I then pointed out that the person made no reference to the U-boat and Bismarck wreck were men died too...that apparently, was different due to them being German.Thanks Richard for having another look at my model, appreciate your time and kind comments. On the conning tower I actually did the hatch in a open position so that maybe some of the crew got out.

Si:smiling3:
mate, been toying with an idea of two guys clinging to a wrecked lifeboat. in memory of my gramps and his best mate who went down on hms exmouth during the war. i too am wondering about the moral side of this and how others would perceive it.
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I've just had a pleasant second brows at this Si....and I've just got to 'ave a bash'!The effect you have accomplished is quite brilliant......

Cheers,

Ron
Thank you Ron, I am amazed at how folk seem to like the old crusty sub and seem to want to build something on similar lines...who would have thought it would become so popular?

Si:smiling3:
 

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
SMF Supporter
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
8,286
Points
113
Location
Home
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thank you Ron, I am amazed at how folk seem to like the old crusty sub and seem to want to build something on similar lines...who would have thought it would become so popular?Si:smiling3:
I think folks are so interested because it's unusual mate , I never thought to try it until I saw this and now I've had a crack , I mean the whole resurch part is of Sea beds and what you can do with it is something that has got me thinking that it's more involved than other dios due to the materials you can use to get it looking as real as possible
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
\ said:
mate, been toying with an idea of two guys clinging to a wrecked lifeboat. in memory of my gramps and his best mate who went down on hms exmouth during the war. i too am wondering about the moral side of this and how others would perceive it.
I think it is part of life and history, the original 'Stroll in the meadow' Dio actually had Russian peasants lying around the tree with a young girl hanging from it while the German troops just walked away as normal as you like...in the end I thought it a bit too close to the bone so just going to have the troops. But, and I think that this is important, 50%+ of models on this site are probably military in nature, troops, vehicles, ships, etc designed for one thing...to kill, atrocities did happen, people got shot down and died a fiery death in their aircraft, people drowned or froze in blackness, soldiers lay as their life ebbed away from them and yes, civilians died sometime awful and cruel deaths. I love to see what people create and detail their models and some are great dios, but occasionally I think it is good that a model is created showing what the real side of war is like, not always the best.

I think Rob you should do it, just a boat with the two guys clinging and a crap load of waves crashing around showing the horror of surviving a sinking but knowing that you could freeze to death or never be found.

Si:smiling3:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I think folks are so interested because it's unusual mate , I never thought to try it until I saw this and now I've had a crack , I mean the whole resurch part is of Sea beds and what you can do with it is something that has got me thinking that it's more involved than other dios due to the materials you can use to get it looking as real as possible
You know Alan, never in a million years would I have thought that a model of mine would inspire someone to try and have a go, not being big-headed, but it feels good knowing that I have given something back after all the great tips and advice I had from this site and its members.

Si:smiling3:
 

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
SMF Supporter
Joined
Nov 29, 2012
Messages
8,286
Points
113
Location
Home
First Name
Alan
\ said:
You know Alan, never in a million years would I have thought that a model of mine would inspire someone to try and have a go, not being big-headed, but it feels good knowing that I have given something back after all the great tips and advice I had from this site and its members.Si:smiling3:
Mate your not being big headed it's great to get feedback from fellow modellers :smiling3: when you get praise from people about a build you feel good but that feeling feels more when people who give you praise and have the same passion as you.

It's more like a community on here than just a forum :smiling3:
 

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
8,783
Points
113
First Name
Ron
I can see your point Rob, I suppose if you use the same argument, it would be reasonable for folks to take the moral high ground and kick off about us building German bombers....They flattened London's East End, Coventry and other English cities. Then move to German tanks...the same principle applies, but thankfully they stayed in Europe.

Would these same moralists condemn a model of a Lancaster bomber which was responsible for killing thousands of innocent lives, when both Hamburg and Dresden were needlessly and ruthlessly bombed during the latter days of the war? I doubt it.

I remember on here a while back, someone had the same 'Moral issue' about posting his model of Hitler.

To a man we posted that a model is just that...A model... and a pleasant way to spend some hours building it.

So I reckon, build what you want and enjoy, also it would be a fitting tribute to others who lost their lives at sea.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ojays

SMF Supporter
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
1,691
Points
113
First Name
Gregg
Regardless of whatever anyone may think about your build, It is an excellent representation of the reality of war!

Keep on going & don't be put off by a minority of supposedly offended individuals!

Gregg
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
Too

\ said:
Regardless of whatever anyone may think about your build, It is an excellent representation of the reality of war!Keep on going & don't be put off by a minority of supposedly offended individuals!

Gregg
Too right Gregg :smiling3:

Si:smiling3:
 

CDW

Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Messages
3,693
Points
0
My coutances diorama, which is a little rememberence of the time my dad spent in France before he was caught up in ''the landings'', could be viewed as a bit morbid as three of the six didn't make it back, and my dad wouldn't have if it weren't for a very brave resistance member named alf who dragged him into cover and carried him to a craft returning across the channel.

Build what you want rob, you shouldnt build things for others approval.... You should build them for your own reasons and enjoyment.
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
\ said:
My coutances diorama, which is a little rememberence of the time my dad spent in France before he was caught up in ''the landings'', could be viewed as a bit morbid as three of the six didn't make it back, and my dad wouldn't have if it weren't for a very brave resistance member named alf who dragged him into cover and carried him to a craft returning across the channel.Build what you want rob, you shouldnt build things for others approval.... You should build them for your own reasons and enjoyment.
Exactly, well said Colin.

Si:smiling3:
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
2,092
Points
0
First Name
Derek
\ said:
You're not the first person to be put off by my sunken models, some folk, like yourself, come back and then have a good look and then are interested. Others are put off and cannot understand why I would want to do any sunken models, I have even being called callous for doing the H.M.S Edinburgh wreck; I then pointed out that the person made no reference to the U-boat and Bismarck wreck were men died too...that apparently, was different due to them being German.Thanks Richard for having another look at my model, appreciate your time and kind comments. On the conning tower I actually did the hatch in a open position so that maybe some of the crew got out.

Si:smiling3:
Came across this posting of yours, and let me congratulate you on a well studied subject. I will be doing a Dio in the near future which will include the U-99. The reason I am writing is your comment re open hatch, and in fact that would be correct. This is the famous U-boat of Otto Kretschmer it was attacked by HMS Walker, U-99 was driven deep by the attack but was nonetheless severely damaged. Kretschmer had no choice but to surface; immediately a barrage of fire greeted the boat. Kretschmer sent a message to Donald Macintyre, Walker 's captain, "CAPTAIN TO CAPTAIN. I AM SUNKING PLEASE RESCUE MY CREW." He then ordered that the boat should be scuttled. 40 crew, including Kretschmer, were rescued to become POWs, while three of his crew died. Derek

p.s. I saw a similar dio recently where the model had been placed in a glass case with tinted green glass and some seabed, very effective.
 

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
8,712
Points
113
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Came across this posting of yours, and let me congratulate you on a well studied subject. I will be doing a Dio in the near future which will include the U-99. The reason I am writing is your comment re open hatch, and in fact that would be correct. This is the famous U-boat of Otto Kretschmer it was attacked by HMS Walker, U-99 was driven deep by the attack but was nonetheless severely damaged. Kretschmer had no choice but to surface; immediately a barrage of fire greeted the boat. Kretschmer sent a message to Donald Macintyre, Walker 's captain, "CAPTAIN TO CAPTAIN. I AM SUNKING PLEASE RESCUE MY CREW." He then ordered that the boat should be scuttled. 40 crew, including Kretschmer, were rescued to become POWs, while three of his crew died. Derek
p.s. I saw a similar dio recently where the model had been placed in a glass case with tinted green glass and some seabed, very effective.
Apologies on this late reply Derek, unlike other threads the boat section does not show up in the latests comments plus I never got a alert.


I am so glad you like it, it looks slightly different now as it has been more rusted, it has also been exhibited and went down really well. Thank you for the back story to this boat and for your time in taking the time to look and comment, appreciate it.


Si:smiling3:
 
Top