Revell's Battalestar Galactica

First Name
Adrian
Started working on my Battlestar Galactica kit with the added extra of a lighting kit with it :smiling3:

Its a learning curve for me in that I've learnt I hate soldering! There has to be a way of attaching wires to LEDs without a soldering iron. The other thing I just found out is that a lump of molten solder dropped onto your toe really hurts!

Anyway the plan is to have 6 Blue flickering LED's at the rear for engines, two white LEDs at the front for the command section, two red LED's for the retraction zones where the launch bays go before jumping to FTL and two white LED's in each launch tube.

Here's a few pics of work so far

View attachment 106858

View attachment 106859

View attachment 106860

View attachment 106861

View attachment 106862

Comments welcomed as always

Adrian

002.JPG

001.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

012.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice indeed Adrian, i do real like the LED,s look great, :D

nice start on the hull as well,will look good when it has a few waters over it,

what thy need is a type of super glue that has metal in it to conduct the power so you dont drop solder on your toes lol, :smiling3:

real wish someone one day would do a good tutorial on doing LED,s as it would be such a help,

what to use and how it all go,s together:rolleyes:,

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Hi Adrian ............. Soldering is a bit of a black art. It took me ages to get to be able to do it effectively. You either get dry joint or as you learned, hot solder on body parts hurts ............ I found the secret is a good quality solder. I scammed some from a company on the Industrial Park at work, they make Audio Visual equipment, and a proper "HOT" iron (Scammed that off them as well) :D .

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
very nice indeed Adrian, i do real like the LED,s look great, :D
nice start on the hull as well,will look good when it has a few waters over it,

what thy need is a type of super glue that has metal in it to conduct the power so you dont drop solder on your toes lol, :smiling3:

real wish someone one day would do a good tutorial on doing LED,s as it would be such a help,

what to use and how it all go,s together:rolleyes:,
Their is some stuff, Ive seen on Evilbay ....... "No more Solder" or something like that ...... Whether it works or not I've no idea.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
clever you Peter,well done lol, :D

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Their is some stuff, Ive seen on Evilbay ....... "No more Solder" or something like that ...... Whether it works or not I've no idea.
you know i can do the soldering ok ,its just what to use that gets me,and finding the right bits lol,:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 3568

Ade fine copper tubing slide over the anode or diode insert wire and crimp no solder and works just as well

And a great start.

D

dubster72

Looking good Adrian, this might inspire me to finish my Enterprise!

Have you tried tinning the wires first? That's what I do & then lay the electrodes on the tinned wire, apply a dab of heat and the two join easily.

D

dougie

Looks fantastic, live the lights... Trial and error with the soldering and I'm sure it will all come together

C

cryton 5

hi dude

my thoughts with you patience as we know is key , as I do I go away look at it again ,it'll come together previous work show's you're abilty a little doesn't hurt look forward to up date's regards cry !!

C

cryton 5

looking good I have project voyager shortly , coming on dude