Rick's 1-87 Scale 3D Printed Fiat 666 Cargo Truck

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So....this little beast is a handful!! Nothing fits as it should, so far I have had to drill or file every part in order to get any kind of reasonable fit so I can eventually glue this thing together once all the paint work is completed. Until then it's "cut cut here" and a "snip snip" there with a couple of "tra la las"!! :tongue-out3: P1012880.JPGP1012882.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Rick, it's lucky you have plenty of patience and skill otherwise I doubt this would be still on the go. You've certainly made good progress.
Sanding resin can be a bit of a health risk. Wet sand or wear a mask. Is this the same?

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Interesting subject. 3D printing is a serious challenge to some of the short run kits and has the major advantage of easy rescaling ( constrained mainly by the size of the build plate on a resin printer). There are a wide variety of resins that can be used and each has different characteristics - I use a water washable type that gives good resolution but can be rather brittle, ABS like resin is much more resilient and has a very slight "give" on skinny parts but needs to be washed using IPA. There are also flexible resins but they are probably more suitable for toys as they appear to give a less crisp finish.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Tim....still a long way to go before I get to the "Emerald City"! After I get everything to fit , I still have to cut out windows for this crate. That's going to be exciting, I just hope I don't knock off any more parts.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jim, funny you should mention patience......did not have much when I first started modeling years ago. I think it sort of grew on me after more than a few disasters along the way.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Howdy Mark, I suspect the builder of this kit is using the same resin that you use. Overall it is a nice looking model but it's my first experience with this material in a complete model......very different from working with cast resin or styrene.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andrea, That's really cool that you had these vehicles still running around when you were growing up. At some point I will also be trying my hand at a Lancia 3Ro as well, along with perhaps a Viberti trailer. ;)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Is it Medication time yet Rick? If I know you can pull this off patients grasshopper. Start looks good looks like it will be a nice addition to your collection. Full support ahead from me.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
OK......back at this and I must say I have saved the best for last. Finally lost the other side mirror while trying to fit the interior "blob" into the cab! I have been at this for a few hours now and it is like trying to "stuff" 10 lbs. of :poop: into a 5 lb. bag!! At any rate I will be able to see how everything fits together once I get this in place. Oh, I forgot to mention I snapped off a section of the drivers side cab fender!!!!P1012889.JPGP1012891.JPGP1012890.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
OK......back at this and I must say I have saved the best for last. Finally lost the other side mirror while trying to fit the interior "blob" into the cab! I have been at this for a few hours now and it is like trying to "stuff" 10 lbs. of :poop: into a 5 lb. bag!! At any rate I will be able to see how everything fits together once I get this in place. Oh, I forgot to mention I snapped off a section of the drivers side cab fender!!!!View attachment 492176View attachment 492177View attachment 492178
Nice to see you chipping away at it Rick

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'd like to take a "hammer" to it Lee! But I'm too stubborn to give up on it........besides that I have another to build yet. If this one doesn't work out I'll at least have a heads up on how to do the next one.....if ever. ;)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Bro, I finally found your asparagus truck build. Every time I want to say something, it disappears off the list and I'm terrible at finding stuff here. I'm really surprised that a 3D print would be such a pain in the pooter. I can see breaking of tiny bits at that scale, but I can't understand the fender break and the terrible fit of the interior piece. He must use cheap resin to print his kits.

As for the interior fit Rick, I can only suggest breaking out the flex and grinding the hell out of it. I'm sure you'll whip this puppy into shape and I'll try to keep up from now on. I hope you hand a nice drive about and you enjoyed yourselves. Seriously though, people your age should be doing walk about's to keep in shape! Take care my friend...

Prost
Allen