Rick's 1-87 Scale Luftwaffe Airfield Fuel Tanker

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Well here is the last update before paint flies......wipers installed, added rear license plate with a tail light stem, added the tow hitch, drilled out the headlight buckets for lenses and as a final touch, I bent the front axle to give the appearance of the wheels turned slightly to the left.....just to add interest on the diorama........oops, just noticed I need to install the driver's side mirror.View attachment 479952View attachment 479953View attachment 479954
Rick

That's coming on very nicely! Looking forward to the paint!

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Guys, just finished cleaning the A/B.....all went according to plan. I love working with Enamel paint, properly thinned it covers fantastic and smooths right out. Never a tip clog or any spitting. :smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s cleaning the remainder out of the airbrush that I dislike about spraying enamels.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jakko, I use Lacquer thinner to spray through, then block the tip with cloth to create back wash thru the body back into the siphon bottle numerous times, reversing direction of flow and changing out for clean thinner, till it runs clear. Takes about 5-10 min. Probably been a t least 6 mos. since I last took the A/B to pieces for a scrubbing. ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Scottie.....soon as it's dry I'll get a post up with it sat in its wheels....I like to give it at least 24 hrs. Just to be sure I don't finger print myself on it ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
till it runs clear.
Yeah, that part never works well for me — I spray cleaner through the airbrush, rinse out the cup etc., repeat both until the stuff that comes out is clear, and next time it’s still a 50/50 chance whether it will spray properly. And that’s with acrylics.

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I get that Jakko, acrylics, if I'm not mistaken, are based on synthetic products that don't break down the same way enamel, or solvent based products do. I'm not sure what auto manufacturers use now , but back in the day it was all lacquer or enamel based paint. I bought this A/B over 40 years ago and have only sprayed enamel paint through it.....seems to work ok ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As promised, here are a couple of pics. with the grey on and I couldn't help spinning the wheels on my moto tool and applying the tire color.....easy peasy! that little blob of putty will be dry soon and I'll repaint the top and it's all detail and weathering from here on. Oops, missed a seam line at the tanks rt. rear....will fix that also.P1012627.JPGP1012628.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is by no means finished but I just wanted to post up the detail painting and weather progress so far.....will not get a chance to later as otherwise occupied. Pete Lowe loaned me one of his helpers to get this crate finished up ;) P1012631.JPGP1012633.JPGP1012632.JPG

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:nerd: :thumb2::smiling:Nice Rick .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Folks, I let the cat out 'O the bag by leaving that little yellow "dude" to waltz around while I was taking pics...should have shooed him off to hang with the rest of his pals up on my tool box. Glad you guys are liking the progress so far. Should have this pretty well finished up in another day or so. Then it is on to the dreaded (but Cleanest) resin kit of the Phanomen Granit 25H Ambulance. Gonna be a bit of a challenge with lots of modifications......stay tuned. :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's a teaser, you can see the rest of the pics. in the completed softskin section. Thanks for helping me push this along, just one step closed to getting the diorama across the finish line.P1012641.JPG