Rick's 1-87 Scale Trident Jagdpanther Conversion

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Rick!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Andy.....still trying to figure out that cast collar around the gun mantle.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jakko at this scale the "fit" of any component is critical....even glue joints can look like the Grand Canyon if you're not careful. ;)
Nothing a large tube of filler can cover Rick, ask me how I know :nerd:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The problem I'm working with is, how to remove the existing one or modify it. It is molded into the Glacis and is dangerously close to the molded in driver's periscope. I'll get it sorted out.....just haven't thought it through yet. ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You could always file everything off and just rebuild the driver’s periscope from some plastic strip.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Jakko, I'm thinking of trying to save the sides as much as possible and just reshape the top and bottom of the casting to give the "appearance" of the non bolted version. It won't be an exact copy as the corner radii are much larger on the early version, both inside and outside of the gun aperture. Thanks for the comment :thumb2: and here's keeping the old fingers crossed.;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for that Mick....much appreciated. :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko, I'm thinking of trying to save the sides as much as possible and just reshape the top and bottom of the casting to give the "appearance" of the non bolted version. It won't be an exact copy as the corner radii are much larger on the early version, both inside and outside of the gun aperture.
That’s why I’m thinking getting rid of the lot will be the easiest option: file it all away, then build a new mantlet surround from plastic card, which you can scrape and file to the rounded shape of the original.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Mission accomplished......as I said earlier the corners aren't as round as the prototype but I think it serves the purpose. I'll try and refine them a bit more before I give it a coat of Mr. Surfacer 500 and the stiff brush treatment to simulate cast armor.P1012818.JPGP1012819.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jakko.......think our posts crossed. this did not come easy and that little dolop of putty you see at the armor joint was where the saw slipped and cut a nice groove in the Glacis plate! :rolling:.....live & learn.:thinking:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had a "screening" session this evening and managed to get all of them roughed in....naturally there will have to be some smoothing of the edges before they are permanently fixed in place. I also had to do away with the deep fording air intake on the rear engine cover.P1012820.JPGP1012821.JPG