Rick's Airfix 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR2

First Name
Robert
I like this idea it looks busy and interesting with the service personnel running round to get or airworthy for its next mission ( really nice

Robert

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
These engine nacelles are together with the No1 & 4 fitted to the wings...not a very neat join. The No 2 & 3 nacelles that also house the main landing gear are assembled with some very nice detail and a better fit. When the gear bays are painted and weathered the nacelles can be installed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had a fiddle about with the cabin to fuselage fit and decided not to bother going to town with it, just the flight deck and area around the crew door as these will be visible.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
These engine nacelles are together with the No1 & 4 fitted to the wings...not a very neat join. The No 2 & 3 nacelles that also house the main landing gear are assembled with some very nice detail and a better fit. When the gear bays are painted and weathered the nacelles can be installed.
View attachment 141442 View attachment 141443 View attachment 141444

I had a fiddle about with the cabin to fuselage fit and decided not to bother going to town with it, just the flight deck and area around the crew door as these will be visible.

View attachment 141445

View attachment 141446
Looking good Rick

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Another fuselage buttoned up tonight. This isn't quite such a good fit but I suspect that is to do with my ham fisted assembly rather than the kit....out with the filler on the engine nacelles too.

That join under the forward fuselage may need a piece of plasticard to fill it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Looking good so far ( we all sometimes make mistakes from time to time ( isn't that what filler is for )

Good progress

Regards

Robert

1275GT

I really want to do one of these, so you've got another pair of eyes watching!! Nice work so far.

Cheers, Neil

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After some enforced time away from the bench and other distractions, not to mention the fit problems with this kit that have been a bit disheartening, I got back in the saddle with this - seeing Colin and Vaughan's similar frustrations prompted me to pick this up again.

I got some sanding on the fuselage seam done, bomb bay doors assembled (not a great fit if you want them closed), sanding around the nacelle/wings and all of the glazing was dipped in Klear.

Thinking ahead on how I will display this I built the bomb trolleys from the Airfix bomber resupply kit and had a play around to see if the torpedoes from the kit would sit well on them - affirmative. I think this will look quite good on the large base I built for my Nimrod last year...i just need to maintain the momentum now.

WP_20160424_22_34_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20160424_22_35_30_Pro.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
seeing Colin and Vaughan's similar frustrations prompted me to pick this up again
Don't bother, stick with the Lightning. It looks great and won't disappoint, I'm sure.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Have you seen the paint job on the Lightning!!!?
See my comment on your Lightning thread - all will be fine in the end.... honestly.........

First Name
Robert
I'm looking back and I'm thinking all this stuff going on about the Shackleton is driving me a bit sideways.

I got the new tool kit and looks a nice kit ( for another day ) when I have time etc etc.

Fit problems, sanding, etc etc

Well,I'm not going to be de turned I will watch the thread and continue to see where I need to jot down bits / notes to add to the box.

On a positive note I do like the vast bomb bay and doors. With them closed caused the fit issue ? So really Airfix although giving you the option of closed or open really want you to display it open?

Those trolley dolly look excellant with the torpedoes

Regards

Robert

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Two questions;

1. Humbrol 44 Pastel Blue - any help in identifying a VMA equivalent would be appreciated.

2. The fuselage transparencies fit from the outside so the unpainted join with the plastic of the fuselage will be in view, how do I mask/hide this?

Ta in advance.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ill try find a match for the paint later, when I can get my butt out of the chair and grab the lap top...as for the gluing of Windows from the out side....which is odd ... If you use either acrylic or PVA glue you can get away with mixing acrylic paint into the glue...

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Ill try find a match for the paint later, when I can get my butt out of the chair and grab the lap top...as for the gluing of Windows from the out side....which is odd ... If you use either acrylic or PVA glue you can get away with mixing acrylic paint into the glue...
The Humbrol 44 paint doesn't have a VMA as far as I can see and there is no acrylic version on the Humbrol site either so I'm a bit stumped, it's for the spinners so I'm not at a work stop...yet.

I use Deluxe Materials' Glue n Glaze for transparencies but I'm not sure how it will react with the paint on this build. The fitting of fuselage Windows is a new thing with Airfix, they did the same with their new Dakota.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's probably my poor, tired out brain cell, but I can't work out which bits of the frames around the window aren't painted. If it's the frames on the fuselage itself, couldn't you just paint them by hand with a tiny brush? Once the transparencies are in, any minor defects in the paint will be hidden. If it's the frames on the transparencies, then masking is probably the only way to go unless you've got a very steady hand.

It's unlikely that PVA glue will upset the paint although it might be worth checking with the particular one you're using.

Dustbin

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Put a dab of your choice of Vallejo on the clear sprue then try the Deluxe Materials' Glue n Glaze. You can also test the same but with PVA added.

This build is looking good so far, Thanks for sharing

Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Rick, had alook for an equivalent paint for Humbrol 44. Humbrol 44 'Pastel blue' appears on the newer Humbrol chart as an enamel colour (matt) but doesn't appear on other paint conversion charts I use. It also doesn't appear on the older Humbrol chart. 44 appears very close to Humbrol 65 (RLM65) in shade. An option for you anyway.

Otherwise it's very close to FS 35488 which equates to Vallejo Model Air 961 (a little darker than the desired blue).