Rick's Eduard 1/48 Ethiopian Air Force Mig-21 MF

Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,834
Points
113
First Name
Rick
I've been painting some of the built sub assemblies, adding weight to the radome and tinkering with the cockpit so that this is ready for the fuselage marry up. After comparing my decal applied sidewall instruments to Patrick's etched version I've taken the plunge and ordered the Eduard detailing set for this kite. I'm on holiday for two weeks so they'll be waiting for me when I return.

WP_20160727_21_52_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20160727_22_27_00_Pro.jpg

WP_20160727_22_27_40_Pro.jpg
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,834
Points
113
First Name
Rick
The etched metal and masks that I ordered for this arrived and I got to work on the cockpit and closed up the fuselage. The paint doesn't match the etch but as the cockpit will be quite cramped I don't think it will be that noticeable. I didn't use all of the etched metal but the harness will most likely get used on the plastic seat from the kit.


Mindful of some comments regarding the fit of the two halves and their bulkheads I made sure all bulkheads had the sprue gates filed off. When it came to fitting them I did one at a time on one fuselage half then used the other fuselage half dry fitted to set the bulkhead while the glue dried and repeated this process until they were all done. The only area of concern was under the nose which was fixed with a bit of filing. 


When closing up I used tape across the joins as an indicator that the halves were aligned...then remembers that there is a spine fairing and this wasn't going to be an obvious join. The fin and spine fairing was done last and a dry fit of the three wing parts to see if mine had the alignment issues others are finding and all seems fine. I added a piece of tape with a reminder that I need to fit the landing lamp glazing before glueing the wings together.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
 
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
1,084
Points
83
First Name
Mike
Nice progress. I like the 'Remember Glazing' tape reminder, that's  great idea (you did remember the glazing, right?) :D
 

papa 695

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
SMF Supporter
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
16,218
Points
113
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on this one Rick some great work going into this keep it up 
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,834
Points
113
First Name
Rick
I need to straighten out that  buckle though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
10,634
Points
113
First Name
Joe
Nice work Rick. Did you find that green radome colour? I decoded the new colour on Tony's thread.
 
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,834
Points
113
First Name
Rick
I spent about 30 minutes in SNMstuff trying to figure it out. I struggled to find an alternative online with my iPad but I came away with a model colour shade that I hope will work, I don't have the code to hand though.

Edit - the model colour shade is Reflective Green 890. I haven't tried it yet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,834
Points
113
First Name
Rick
Radome painted, next time I will paint it before assembling. And the windscreen is fitted, next step is masking the transparencies, the gear bays and jet pipe are done using tape and foam.

WP_20160908_22_39_30_Pro.jpg
 
Top