Rigging a 1/350 scale ship

R

Ray Scheller

Hi,

I'm new to this site but I've read many posts over the last couple of months and there is a lot of good information bandied about so I decided to take the plunge and join.

My question is on rigging. Specifically the size of thread. I'm rigging up the 1/350 Nagato "Battle of Leyte Gulf". I've looked around and can't find any definitive answer for this specific ship. I've looked at David Griffith's excellent book and he uses a 20 Den thread for his 1/700 ships. I'm thinking of using a 40 Den thread for mine but I thought I'd get some expert advice. What do you recommend? Thanks.

Ray

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi Ray, nice model you are making. Best thing for a ship of this scale and type is to use Monofiliment-it is a pain to work with but gives that very fine look of wire cables that you just cannot get with sewing thread and the like. Here is a link on Ebay.com showing you the thread http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=monofilament+thread&_frs=1 The transparent version gives the look without looking over large, something that black thread can do. Model Expo also do rigging, mainly for sailing vessels but these can be even finer: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=monofilament+thread&_frs=1

Hope it helps.

Si:smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know that a good few still use stretched spue for rigging. A good alternative is EZline, you can read about it here

This has the advantage that it is slightly elastic so not prone to snapping if you bump it...

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I know that a good few still use stretched spue for rigging. A good alternative is EZline, you can read about it hereThis has the advantage that it is slightly elastic so not prone to snapping if you bump it...

Ian M
That's the stuff Ian, was racking my brains but couldn't remember what it was called.

Si:smiling3:

G

Graham D

I am using fine e-z thread on my hms warspite. In photos, the black thread does look over large, but in reality it is about the right size

First Name
rob
go for stretched sprue wherever you can. its the only thing that adheres well. fishing line is a bugger to stick and it will sag. fine thread is ok but you cant get a decent grab with adhesive.