Roberts Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire MkXiX

First Name
Robert
I started this a couple of weeks ago and well I hoped it to be a quick fun build but then I did some research and ended up getting the cockpit upgrade set from Barracuda ( mainly resin seat )
Although the Airfix kit is well detailed in the new build I thought it could do with a better seat at best.

The Mk19 is one of the nicest Spits in my opinion and well my mark ( or colour scheme is not going to be PRU blue ( too many of the same models in my opinion so I had to do some research and came up with a SEAC version which I'm going to replicate ( hopefully )
I've had a lot of advice from our resident Spitfire Expert ( Stona ) and others in my help with the decals so thank you in advance

Started with the cockpit interior as most kits start in the office. Resin was a little fiddly even in this scale and even with careful shaving I ended up breaking the odd piece so had to replicate out of sprue. The seat is very detailed and with careful painting I think I've made a good attempt at replicating.

Of note the actual seat was made of paper!! In the actual aircraft ( from my ref notes ) to save weight!!

Right here's the pis of progress

Enjoy and comments welcome
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
This is pics of my target Spitfire and some more pics of progress
The Fuselage is getting a clean wash and then I started on the wing lower radiators/ coolers. Once assembled and dry I sprayed them Dark grey blue 054 Vallejo and dry brushed 065 steel over the front and rear.
The underside will be sprayed Med Sea Grey but these wil not be seen once the covers are on.
image.jpegimage.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Well I can definatly recommend the Airfix 1/48 Mk19 Spitfire as its a great fit in all the right places. I have had to use a little filler here and there but nothing drastic like big gaps in the wing fit. Still some tidying to do but nothing drastic.
Progress was quick in the fit after the fuselage was joined. I've drilled the exhausts instead of buying aftermarket ones as I think the Airfix kits make a good representation of the griffons exhausts.
I've also made a start on the undercarriage/ prop and spinner.
I've sprayed the spinner with .46 Vallejo blue grey as a primer but still have to spray white ( whites a hard colour to get right but I'll not give in.
Pictures
Comments welcome

Regards
Robert
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice. That cockpit is a busy little space. The drilled exhausts have worked very well.

C

cryton 5

coming on nicely a fittting tribute
looking forward to seeing her take shape good on you cryton

First Name
Dave
Looking good.I agree about the colour scheme. The one you've chosen looks much more interesting,

First Name
Robert
Thanks guts for all the positive feedback
Well the first colour has gone down on the underside it's a medium sea grey
Model air 71.307 from their RAF range. I then sprayed a coat of klear once dryed.
Because the mark is a display Aircraft I'm not going to heavy weather the panel lines ( I'm going to try the HB pencil trick of panel lines
I have the decals from Xtradecal No 48-129 which gives the aircraft markings that I require but I will have to make a few adepts to make PS890. I have the relevant numbers etc ( serials ) but I'm a little dubious on the white flash on the wings and the tail ( IE what width etc) I'm trying to judge from photos but exact but is hard to make so any help there would be great.
Prog pics and some ref pics ( the last pics are when Ps890 was fitted with an engine from a Shackleton ( contra rotate props)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Been doing a bit more and unfortunately I couldn't get the ref from sources so I had to make a best guesstimate of the white bar invasion stripe for my mark.
It will need a wee bit of touch up but think I pulled it off.
Still got the top to spray and the rest of camo to perform but I'm glad that's this part complete.
Pics
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 3568

Don't know much about planes but those panel lines look really well moulded, your doing a great job on this one mate.

First Name
Robert
Thanks Ken, there will be some alterations to the panel line as the white invasion stripe does not go onto the ailoron but I had to get the straight line first. I will be touching up later. I'm now starting on the top camo

Regards

Robert

First Name
Robert
Got some nice dark green colour down BS Dark green ( RAF) Model Air 71.324. Took me a while to mask and then I realised I had not masked the white stripes so had to start again.
I'm going to leave to set for about 12/18 hours so it's back to the model tommorow then I'll give a coat of klear 50/50 before I remask for the white stripes.
image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

First Name
Robert
Today's progress has been a bit slower than of late as I had to do the Christmas run and deliver all friends etc presents ( a chore the wife gave me ) I'm supposed to be on holiday the week before Xmas,,,, I digress
Well I got chance to mask up the top wing for the correct white flash which also goes around the wing ( this has been corrected underneath. I then sprayed med sea grey undersides to correct errors ( my fault )
Masking the tail plane took a while too to get the correct lines and in scale to the pic refs I have.
I have also noticed thAt my camo pattern differs somewhat to the original mark as I had taken the ref from Xtradecal But these were MK Viii Spirfires of SEAC
( I claim artists right to alter on the project!
Pics

D

Deleted member 3568

That is great, you're doing an amazing job of this.

First Name
Robert
Hi guys
Well I did a bit more today but unfortunately not compleated this in time before I had to go back to work ( yes I'm working over Xmas )
I managed to start on the decalling too.
Pics