RODEN JS3 "Stalin" 1/72

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Someone asked if their kits were any good here on site , wich drew attention from the lynch mob ,I thought the beating they took was a bit harsh ,don't expect a kit from the Ukraine that's probably a third of the price to be like a Tamiya no brainer ,yes the parts do go together without a hitch but that's what you've paid all that money for.
So what did I get for under a tenner must have been because it came off Ebay two or three years ago. Now I reckon this kit to be about EIGHTEEN years old so ,sharply moulded in green plastic with rubber tracks not my favourite but hey it's hardly new technology
Fit of parts was very good the only thing I did was to put some strapping (masking tape) and handles on the external fuel tanks and replaced the grab handles with some Albion Alloy s brass rod but only because the kit ones were so finely moulded I couldn't remove them from the spru without breaking them.
Bovington tank museum is I suppose barley thirty minuets down the road from me though I haven't been since Tiger day a couple of years ago ,my daughter and I always got the ticket for the year and were regulars but now in mid teens it's not that cool to be seen with dad let alone in a tank museum, but from what I can remember of their KV one side the track is as tight as a banjo string the other has got some sag about it so .......rubber tracks I trimmed the teeth off of the sprocket so they laid around nicely and fixed at each wheel with a spot of super glue incorporating the over the top sag but hey I think it looks cool even if its incorrect.
The whole thing was primed with Expo light gray (rattle can) as you can see nice and smooth plus from the can its fool proof. Don't think theres much doing at the beginning of next week so should get some green on it fingers crossed.

20200615_183935.jpg

20200615_183958.jpg
20200620_095120.jpg
20200620_102654.jpg
Dave.

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Dave - I agree, Roden are not that bad really. Might need a little fettling here and there but that’s modelling

It looks good - not a fan of rubber tracks though personally

Stood next to an ex Egyptian one when it fired up - quite amazing. Huge amounts of black smoke, ear splitting noise, the concrete yard shaking like a jelly

Not been to the tank museum for over twenty years - wish it was a bit nearer

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Talking of wich I presume the exhausts are the two blocks on the back with the quarter circle bits ? If they are should have drilled them out perhaps!

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Dave - it was a long time ago but I seem to recall the smoke came out the top of the engine deck near the rear corners
It had no tanks on the side and there was a lot of smoke staining down the side panel

Looking at your pictures above you can see them - top of engine deck rear corner there is a curved deflector that leads back to a block next to that rear Louvre panel. They are the exhausts

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Talking of wich I presume the exhausts are the two blocks on the back with the quarter circle bits ?
Those bits are the exhausts, yes. Here’s a view of the right-side one on the IS-3 (note spelling :smiling3:) in the Army Museum in Brussels, in 2003:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9fa.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
At least the fuel will be warm pre heated !
I'm in Dave, might not be the best version , but I'm sure you'll do a great job .

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
At least the fuel will be warm pre heated !
I'm in Dave, might not be the best version , but I'm sure you'll do a great job .
Your always welcome John by not the best version did you mean the tank itself or the kit ,its a great little kit ,did thoes few little bits thought it looked quite the part primed up as for the tank all I can tell you is its Russian and comes in green but glad to have you along as I said. Don't think I have a pot that says 4BO on it but rest assured it'll come in green. Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your always welcome John by not the best version did you mean the tank itself or the kit ,its a great little kit ,did thoes few little bits thought it looked quite the part primed up as for the tank all I can tell you is its Russian and comes in green but glad to have you along as I said. Don't think I have a pot that says 4BO on it but rest assured it'll come in green. Dave
Dave , apologies got mixed up with another make. I do know they do loads of planes though.
As for the green any darkish shade will do and plenty of mud !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
blimey that's faded although the rust stains and chipping make interesting reading if that makes sense
It’s been 17 years since I was there, but the main impression I’ve got of the outside exhibits is how dilapidated they looked. Look at the Conqueror in the background, that’s in no better state (in fact worse, as it’s missing it entire mudguard). I’m kind of hoping they’ve been restored in the mean time.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's a great looking build David. Looking forward to seeing what colour scheme and weathering you do

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's a great looking build David. Looking forward to seeing what colour scheme and weathering you do
Thanks Steve were keep it simple ...green....the usual filters washes ,rust and chips maybe a little dirt ,I think thank the gods most of us grow out of the cant see the model for the chips rust and dirt it took me some time each effect was like a new toy ,so like I said were TRY and keep it simple Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It’s been 17 years since I was there, but the main impression I’ve got of the outside exhibits is how dilapidated they looked. Look at the Conqueror in the background, that’s in no better state (in fact worse, as it’s missing it entire mudguard). I’m kind of hoping they’ve been restored in the mean time.
Jakko once again thanks for that great pic the more I look the more I see ,the kit fuel tanks didn't have the usual straps because their not fixed like that oops makes me the simple box basher I am ,but all the stains chips etc are a fantastic piece of reference to be used on any vehicle, Dave.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
They’re fixed by a bolt through a bracket on the side, yes :smiling3: I’ve got more photos of that tank if you want them, for example to see the way rust runs down the glacis plate:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9ff.jpg

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
They’re fixed by a bolt through a bracket on the side, yes :smiling3: I’ve got more photos of that tank if you want them, for example to see the way rust runs down the glacis plate:

View attachment 390235
Jakko fantastic I'd have never of thought of running the stains at a angle from the centre of the glacis plate ,obvious really now one can see it ,even the towing hook has little rust stains don't quite think that will happen in 72nd but still great to observe great stuff many thanks again Dave.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s one of those things that are obvious when you see them, but realising it without a photo can be difficult, yes :smiling3:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Good afternoon people had visions of doing this at the beginning of the week but you know how it is ,if your like me a secret fear of air brushes doesn't help I'm not to bad once I start its finding a confident consistency that I struggle with ,why I no longer play golf one game you could have wiped the floor with tiger woods the next your mates are still laughing three hours later in the pub.
So with it somewhat cooler I took the plunge
20200626_130500.jpg
20200626_134937.jpg
20200626_134926.jpg
The pre shade was done with Tamiya NATO black wich I find quite gentle it's more dark green/black ,the pre highlight is ammo/mig russian something a couple of mist coats of the final colour hopefully will let the hard work show through and tie it down with a couple of filter coats ,but I've come away for a couple of hours and a coffee top up should make it back to the table soon.....Dave

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ok got the final coat on before I start on what I enjoy the most filters washes chips rust dirt etc.. Think it went ok enjoyed it so perhaps the other couple of builds I've done might see some paint as well ,stay safe have a good weekend were hoping for rain ?(it might keep all the numpties away).
20200626_164745.jpg

20200626_165557.jpg
20200626_165257.jpg
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking really good Dave.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking really good Dave.
Thanks John certainly green ,I'm trying to be not more professional but more consistent in the way I set about doing it all but , not that I've ever bothered i keep telling myself to spray the underside as well so I can see what effect the filters ect have before I take them top side guess what I forgot old habits die hard. All paints used were Mig/ammo thinned with mr hobby aqueous thinner sixty thinner forty paint ,except the dark pre shade wich was tamiya nato black. So four drops of paint straight from bottle to six drops of thinner from a pipette mixed with a brush in the air brush cup itself ,as you can see from the pics any little bits left over are used as practice on sheets of printer paper wich is also used to test ratio before I let loose on the kit.Dave