Rodens 1/48 scale S.E. 5a.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well another bird for the 74 squadron. This time the S.E. 5a flown by Major Edward "Mick" Mannock, July 1918 Northern France. Mannock clocked up 73 victories in service, which puts him right at the top of the "top score" list of British fighter pilots.

One of 74 sq earliest craft, (I'm still hunting down an Avro 504k).

I must admit I was a tiny bit surprised over the size of this little gem of a kit. No intentions of a reveiw here, but I will say the the moulding is good, flash minimal and detail adequate. The decals.... To hard for my liking and several of them shattered while trying to get them in place. I knew I should of painted them!!!

Right here are the Photos, That's why you are looking at this, right?

View attachment 29657

View attachment 29658

View attachment 29659

View attachment 29660

View attachment 29661

View attachment 29662

View attachment 29663

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dude! I forgot to touch up the exit holes!!!

Right a crash course in rigging will be posted in tips and tricks section. Just give me time to write sumit down!

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic job Ian, that rigging sounds a nightmare. Beutiful looking example of a fantastic Bi-plane.

Really well done mate.

Andy

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, Very nice job, how about posting a group photo of your 'Tigers' so far. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Derek. I might just do that. I will just need to find a way to keep the two terrorists out of the way, or I'll be back to square one in no time!! I might give it a try tomorrow if they go to sleep!

Ian M

G

Gomer Pyle

Very nice build Ian! It looks to be a pretty good kit with some nice detail, were the braces for the aileron control included in the kit?

Good job one the rigging I know what a pain it can be. What did you use for wire? (I use human hair but I'm hoping to find something a little easier to use).

/Daniel

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hej Daniel.

If by the braces for the aileron control you mean those tiny little horns at the front of the control surfaces, yes they where included, and where a pain to get in place.

As for the wires I just used good old mono fishing line, 0.25 I think and ran it through a tamiya gun metal paint pen to give it some colour.

Detail wise yes its pretty good. The seat is wrong though. Its fine in the 1/32 scale one but in this the 1/48 they have done the seat back so it covers the whole of the bulkhead.

Ian M

PS I found and ordered an Avro 504k today so thats an other one to cross off the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely job ian, well done with the rigging too,i know its not easy. It really looks like a great kit, i keep looking at the roden airco dh4 in 1/48, the one with the red and yellow sunburst fuselage,i dont know what it is but I just keep wanting to get one (even though i said i wasnt going to do anymore biplanes!!) Seeing your brilliant se5 has only made my yearning worse!! cheers tony

K

Kressy13

Hi Ian, great job on this kit, really looks the goods. The rigging looks excellent. One thing though, You might need to get the bug spray as their is a rather large mosquito in a few of your pics:laughing:

Cheers

Kresten

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great job on the SE5 Ian! You've done a real job on the rigging and I look forward to the tutorial. The old biplanes are tiny when compared to WW2 and later aircraft aren't they? I'm looking forward to seeing your 'Tigers' history - it migh be worth mounting each on a base with a plaque giving dates?

All the best

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Paul.-

That tutorial is in the tut section already, No piccies but I think its described quite well.

Just heard that the Avro is on the way from England, so its a good thing I got a bit of practice in on this one!

Ian M