Ruined streetscene HO/1/72 with Pola building

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I found a nearly finished building while I was rummaging through my model stuff in the loft looking for SG/GB material. It is a HO scale Pola kit of a house being demolished that I have modified and detailed with the intention of using it on a model railway layout idea that got canned when I moved to a smaller house. Now that it is no longer needed for a layout I thought it would be useful for a diorama set somewhere in Germany/NW Europe or even as a scene for displaying 1/72 scale vehicles in a combat zone.

I added extra detail in the way of collapsed floors, drainpipes, timbers, lead wire for electrical wiring and some bits from the spares box including chairs, a table and a bathtub. There is still lots more that can be done to this kit for realism. I mounted it on some foamboard with self-adhesive cobblestone sheets from Metcalf models for the road. The base will be trimmed down and a little more scenic material added.

Now I just need some suitable vehicles for it………….Stug III?

View attachment 72492

View attachment 72493

View attachment 72494

View attachment 72495

View attachment 72496

DSC05416.JPG

DSC05417.JPG

DSC05418.JPG

DSC05419.JPG

DSC05420.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Jeez...looks my house!

Well done mate, superb quality, with vehicles it will enhance an already great model into a super dio. Love this.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That looks cracking Rick I like distroyed houses :smiling3:

N

noble

The details are indeed everything, all I can say to this is WOW well done and I can't wait to see this finished.

Scott

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Some very nicely done detail in that Rick, great stuff.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've added some more details to this diorama. Just need some figures and a vehicle maybe. The piano, sofa, bookcase and upturned bed are all resin castings from McKeeman Models while the bottles are from Auhagen. An idea I had for this was to pose some soldiers resting amongst the chaos of street fighting while their tank was re-armed.

My wife was giving it the once over and after I explained my id ea she suggested that I ought to add more to replicate a shattered roof. LMS here I come for some roof tiling sheets.

View attachment 74110

View attachment 74597

DSC05441.JPG

DSC05445.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Instead of something military, how about something like these:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1703

Could be the house owners leaving with all they could salvage maybe?

Gern

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Instead of something military, how about something like these:http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1703

Could be the house owners leaving with all I they could salvage maybe?

Gern
I had looked at these. A couple of years ago I saw a three foot long dio in a shop window in Cologne with houses like this from Faller and refugees and German troops retreating in different vehicles.

I want to keep this as generic as possible so that I can pose as wide a variety of models as possible using it as a display base as well as a dio.......but I have ordered the resting troops and tank crew from Preiser and this would pass as an Arnhem street for the Stug I have for the build next year.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Look at those pock-marks...RATA-TATA-TATA...superb, just love it!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Look at those pock-marks...RATA-TATA-TATA...superb, just love it!Si:smiling3:
Si,

Thank you for your kind comments. You, more than any other member has been the most generous commentator on my work and for that I am extremely thankful.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Si,Thank you for your kind comments. You, more than any other member has been the most generous commentator on my work and for that I am extremely thankful.
No worries, you make superb models, I enjoy looking at them and getting ideas from them. That's what it's all about, enjoying models and getting and giving ideas.

First Name
Mike
That looks great Rick, it's an excellent idea having a generic base that you can display and photograph different vehicles and figures on; I suppose it's the armor equivalent of a runway base that we use for aircraft. Nice work on the details and debris.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice work Rick as what everyone has mention above, very nice indeed i do realy like the debris

what was your trick for getting it to look just right ?

keep the great work coming will look forward to seeing more

Moni

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here you go....tankies at rest somewhere in NW Europe.

Sturmgeschutz IV from Revell and figures from Preiser. I added extras like kit rolls, buckets, bricks and bottles from various different sources. All paints are AK and pigments from Mig. Battle damage was done with a scribe to punch holes and pliers to bend the side skirts then oils for the streaking.

Enjoy...

View attachment 87988

View attachment 87989

View attachment 87990

View attachment 87991

View attachment 87992

View attachment 87993

View attachment 87994

View attachment 87987

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
One excellent dio. Rick. Very impressive scratch work too.

Don't you just luuurve all that rubble? So often I see models of wrecked buildings with just a barrowful of rubble strewn about, so it's great to see a model where rubble and general debris is knee deep - as it should be.

Top marks for sure....

Ron