Saaf 1/72 f1cz

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

Here is a little 1/72 Heller Mirage F1 CT (SAAF used AZ and CZ) I will be doing in 3 sqn SAAF collour.

It will be in the 3 tone grey "LE Spectre" sceeme used by the SAAF in Angola after radio transmitions were intercepted of Angolan Mig pilots saying they can clearly see the "yellow" (actually sand buff) on the F-1's

The aftermarket decals will be the only extra on this plane.It will be an "in flight" model as the detail on the UC is basically a zero :sad:

You might note an Angloan "kill" on the decal sheet. This was the plane that Maj Rankin used to down an Angolan Mig 21 at 320m with the cannon after the Matra missle failed. He actually did the same thing again shortly after.Who said all the gunfighters were gone!

The model needs allot of putty and sanding to get it nice, but after building new Hasegawas and Tamiyas I must have been spoilt and using any putty feels like work! LOL

I have ben studying pix of the SAAF low viz planes and the markings seem to have a "dust coat" of grey over them to tone them down a tad before they sarted using outline castles only.Has anyone ever done this on a model with success? If please tell me how.

The office and driver still need allot of work to complete.

Theuns

View attachment 31519

View attachment 31520

F-1 001.jpg

F-1 002.jpg