Saaf 1/72 f1cz

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

Eventually managed to "complete" the 1/72 Mirage F1cz in low viz SAAF sceeme.Still some cleaning up of the canopy to do and to paint the exhaust

The painting went OK till I had to tone down the bright decals and collour.I was told to overspray the whole model with thinned down light grey.

This worked very well and the effect on the paint and decals are perfect according to the pix I have of the full size plane.

It was the first F1 to get a gun kill on an Angolan Mig 21. Hence the kill mark under the canopy

The F-1's were repainted when SA Intel guys overheard the Mig pilots radioing their base that they can clearly see the SAAF F-1's wearing the old buff/green collours.

This plane was the first to be painted like this and was called "Le-Spectre"

Anyway back to the model, the hassle I had with the toning down was that the airbrush can spray only so wide and as soon as you do a pass over another you get the collour to light and streaky.

To late to fix it now, so I just left it and move on.

Theuns

ps. the pix of the F1 taxing out was of the same plane and pilot moments before he got his secong mig 21 gun-kill over Angola

View attachment 32344

View attachment 32345

View attachment 32346

View attachment 32347

F-1 003.jpg

F-1 005.jpg

F-1 006.jpg

27-11-07%203-20-24%20PM_0024.jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Theuns, that looks a nice clean build, you wouldn't know from the finished paint that you had any problems, look forward to seeing the finished aircraft. Cheers Derek