A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great looking Goony bird Theuns.

Tony.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx lads. I is a nice kit to do and that usually will end with good results (I hope!)

I am going to do theis Dak in the SAAF sceeme of Dark earth/Darg green over PRU Blue. There are two specific planes I am thinking about to do. The one is the Dak that was tasked by the S.A> Gov to go and collect the first Celocanth fish caught in Malagascar (way back when) or the other was flying a whole bunch of Cabinet Ministers arround the Angolan ops area when it was struck by a Sam 7 Missle.

The entire left elevatr, 2/3's right elevator and the entire rudder was lost. The crew managed to land the plane safely by using the pasengers moving forward and back as elevator controll and differential throttles as rudder!

I am just not entirely sure how to simulate the shredded fabric though, any ideas???

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

That's just the stuff mate, Thanx!

Now I need a bar wraped in that stuff, here they sell it in thick foil bags. Maybe the high end stuff will have it.

This is most likely the only time my wife will have no problem with me having to buy some "aftermarket" stuff for the model LOL!

Theuns

G

Gren

Now that looks really good, looking forward to seeing how you get on

Les

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
WOW , thats some damage theuns , looks like a shark attack!! He must have been one hell of a pilot to bring it home and land it!! The C47 is looking good, nice work on the interior, cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Tony, as a pilot myseff (granted only a PPL) I think one comes up with some wonderfull ideas when all your options have basically failed. Also believe a higher power helped out a little there!

I have looked at using the same fabric on the model I use on the full size, but the weave is way to big for that :sad:

Theuns

First Name
Dave
Nice work.A word of warning with this kit.The flight deck window transparency is very brittle and easy to break.I managed to break mine and had to make a replacement from some acetate sheet.Someone else on the forum broke theirs as well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi theuns ,if you cant get any suitable foil , how about some microporous tape , you know ,the stuff you can use to stick bandages , its got quite a fine weave and should be easy to tear and get the raggy effect. cheers tony

C

CDW

Theuns ... to get that effect i would lay some kitchen roll or thicker tissue paper out flat on the surface of the wings (leaving a flap over the rear edge to work with) then soak it in slightly thinned PVA so its able to be pressed into any detailing. when it's just starting to dry and get stiff i would use tweezers to pull strands away to get the ripped and feathered effect, when it's dry it should be able to take a coat of paint and any weathering you decide to do.

Hope i've explained that well enough to understand :smiling3: :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Look forward to seeing this one complete, I enjoy seeing these Dakota builds.

The scratch-built interior looks great, Theuns. Self preservation tends to concentrate the mind when things go wrong, good work from that SAAF crew.

T

T. van Vuuren

In Afrikaans we have a saying "Nood leer bid" translated to "Emergency learns one to pray"!

I have cut up the tail, this just feels so wrong to do! Will build the broken structure today and then start to find some material to do the fabric.

Interestingly this Dak (as with many other SAAF planes of the time) wore no national insignea or serial #'s in total contradiction of internationla aviation laws. It saves me a few bob in aftermarket decals LOL!

Theuns

Last edited:
A

andyrobs

Hi Theuns, great work so far mate, gonna be a cracking build. I built the revell 1:48 skytrain version (you can see it in my gallery). That version had loads of interior detail, most of which you couldn't see when finished!!!!

Cheers, Andrew

T

T. van Vuuren

The 48 size Dak must be Huge!

The basic structure is done, as soon as glue cures I will clean up and trim some of the bits smaller.

The elevators are mostly ripped fabric to do.

Theuns

View attachment 47681

Dak 6855 001.jpg