SAAF F-86f

T

T. van Vuuren

So, after ALLOT of hassles with the paint and finnishing off on this Academy 1/48 Sabre I have reached the point where I will say - Enough.

It is painted in the collours of the SAAF #2 sqn in Korea 1953. .It is tail # 601 befrore the serial was painted on and still bearing the narrow fin flashband.

Theuns

View attachment 27807

View attachment 27808

F-86 f 001.jpg

F-86 f 002.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice indeed,you've achieved a very convincing finish,not easy as we all know. Nice to see some blue sky too. I'm in Dublin today and blue sky is not an option.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx mate, yes this plane did give me a few grey hair extra :sad:

I am now buzy with a Academy P-40 and it has restored my faith in the co. As they say, the sun in Africa is not for the weak LOL!!!

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job theuns, very nice nat. metal finish . I always look forward to your finished builds because its always good to see something different , its not very often we see anything in the SAAF markings . Heres to the next one , cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Tony, very kind of you.

The next one (P-40 in SAAF Desert collours) should be done soon. I wanted to get some of my confedince back on a cheap model before I taccle the Tamiya 1/48 Me 262. It is to much of a nice kit to messup!

On the P-40 I will be trying the "blue tack worm" mask technique for the cammo.

Here is a question re the WW2 Lufftwaffe ground ops - The 262 comes with a nice little Kettencraftrad. What would the collour of this thing be? the box art shows it in yellow, but on a forward airfield??? would it not be drab?

Theuns

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi theuns , most of the pics ive seen of kettenkraftrad models with aircraft do show them as desert yellow , maybe someone else knows a bit more , looking forward to that though , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Ha, got me ! Until I opened up the attachments, I thought the second pic was of the real thing for a comparison. Anyway the result looks great. I've built a couple of 1:72 scale Academy models, but not 1:48. How do you find the larger scale ? Are they still good value at this scale ?

Regards

Colin M.........

T

T. van Vuuren

Hey Colin, I realy enjoy academy 1/48 planes. They are really good value for money, the 72 size I battle to see well enough.The problem I had with the yellow bands dacals were my own doing, that's why I needed to paint it on ,a few times!!

But otherwize the kit was not bad atall, it is no Tamiya, but then it is a fraction of the price.

Theuns