Saftey when using knives!

R

rjwood_uk

I know its common sence not to cut towards yourself,

but let face it, holding a piece and cutting towards yor thumb is far more controllable than any other way!

I know everyone does it this way but i have learnt my lesson!

A brand new blade whent straight into my thumb, it was parallel to it as well, thats what amazed me, how sharp it actually was!

so please everyone, resist temptation.

I know we all feel these "helth & saftey" rules are a load of rubish.....but they are there for a reason!!!

N

Nigel.D

Richard you now belong to the modellers society of "ohh f***** hell bas**** i cut myself"

P

Phoenix

yup

the joys of knifes eh

also never leave old plane blades for a david plane or the like around cos they my be blunt but they are still sharp enough to cut you i learned my lesson when i cought my pinky at the side of my nail on one in my garage

R

rjwood_uk

oh i have cut myself many times before, doing many different things.

the strange thing is im a chef and have been fro the past 5 years, and iv only ever cut myself with a knife whilst cooking, in 5 years....twice!

many other time though, usually doing stupid things.

i have a scare (along with scars from the stitches) on my left index finger going from half way accross to half way down from when i was about 7...trying to open a packet of biscuits with a 10" carving knife! (nice trip to casulty that was...one ruined tea-towel!!) lol

(i remember the triage (however you spell it) bent it down as far as she could and asked "does that hurt"...if had been older than 7 i dont know what i would have said!!!)i guess it was to see if i had severed any nerve endings.not quite...hit the bone though!!!)

another bad one is on my right arm...you have to try and picture this one....

my brother was pissing me off and pretending to threaten me with his swiss-army knife. so i had a halloween pitch fork in my right arm, and my swiss-army knife in a horizontal "slashing" hold in my let arm. As i lunched at him with the pitch fork the main blade of my swiss-army knife whent straight into my upper right arm!

my parents were out and i thought i would get in trouble for playing with my knife so i just put a plaster on! suprisingly it didnt bleed much...left a nice scar though!!!

(The 1st picture is of my finger, the flash was too bright so i have had to draw on how the scar roughly goes, and the 2nd is of my right arm, i have circled the scare...no imagine a 3x0.5" blade sticking in that!!!)

View attachment 13821

View attachment 13822

finger-scar.jpg

arm-scar.jpg

Last edited:
P

Pogo

My turn. Tuesday . Sat on setee in living roon with buccaneer on floor, paring down seam line on leading edge of wings. Put scalpel down on cushion and it rolled between the two. Wet and dry sanding didnt take enough off so i reached for the knife and pushed hand between cushion. Right onto tip of blade with forefinger. Mother in law is sat on chair just a few feet away and jumped when i did . Did it hurt? was her question. Not half as much as it will if i bleed on cushion. It was a tiny cut and it bleed like a pig. But not in the living room. Moral? Dont do it!!!!!

P

Pogo

My turn. Tuesday . Sat on setee in living roon with buccaneer on floor, paring down seam line on leading edge of wings. Put scalpel down on cushion and it rolled between the two. Wet and dry sanding didnt take enough off so i reached for the knife and pushed hand between cushion. Right onto tip of blade with forefinger. Mother in law is sat on chair just a few feet away and jumped when i did . Did it hurt? was her question. Not half as much as it will if i bleed on cushion. It was a tiny cut and it bleed like a pig. But not in the living room. Moral? Dont do it!!!!!

R

rjwood_uk

so it all goes back to my original point....these health and safty "regulations" are their for a reason, and a good one at that! we all think to ourselves, na, they are just for stupid...im far to clever and experienced to hurt myself....bollocks to that i say!

always follow them!!!

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I had a fear for ages of craft knifes, Stanley knifes and all the other types of sharps knifes you can think of, when I was young I was trying to get the wood effect sticky stuff of a CB radio I had using a window paint scraper, it slipt and sliced a vain in my hand it was spurting like mad, ever since then I've been really careful, probably a bit too much it's always in the back of my mind

R

rjwood_uk

lol john, how can something 0.5mm cut you?

well stupid question, obviously it can, any chance you can tell us about it without desturbing yourself too much?

A

AerynPk

been there and done that when i was cutting out the vacform of the TSR2 my dad decided to post it on here as a laugh it was so painful it slide right down to the knuckle on my thumb. i didnt cry though lol

B

Bluewavestudios

If any cut is done with a very sharp blade it will bleed for ages...coz of the very clean cut and no jagged edges to heal quickly (think shaving cuts here and you will know what I mean)

On the other hand you could always do what I did and take off half the tip of one of your fingers off with a black carbon fibre glass prop on a diesel engine...engine had been a bugger to start till I got the compression settings right, moved my fingers in to tweak needle valve to smoothen it out, prop flipped on my finger tip.....no pain but lots of blood !!! Very quickly made a whole white T towel very red......found my missing bit of fingertip next day at far end of garage stuck to sleeve of my dads overalls !!!

Fortunately that bit of the finger has grown back but I still have the scar

Mark.

P

Pogo

My first craft knife , a humbrol one i think was being used for the first time to remove a piece from the Matchbox Boeing P12-E Sprue. It came off quicker than i thought and took the tip of my thumb off. Didnt hurt but again ,bleed like hell for a good 10 mins. It grew back and i have a scar to prove it!!!

K

kevingambrell

hmm pain! drilling a tube plate with out a clamp drill grabbed and tore the top of my finger. now when i play cowboys and indians im the one with the sawn off shotgun!

A

alan2525

Ouch - how much of the top of your finger did you lose?

That sounds like the kind of mistake you only make once!

A guy at work was once pushing a stout piece of hardwood through the bandsaw and yeah, you've guessed it, thumb in line with the blade, (never a smart thing to do) he was pushing the timber firmly through the saw and just as he got closer to the edge, the wood pushed through with less resistance and so did his thumb...

He didn't lose the thumb but he had a pretty scary looking flap of it hanging off until they sewed it back on!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ, et al,

I too have "sliced" my thumb in much the same manner.....but then again, I have also "split" my thumb with a vertical (upright) bandsaw also.

I have more scars than I care to think about, most involving knives, others involving power tools and machinery...ie.......

* split my thumb with the aforementioned offending bandsaw

*sliced (to the bone) my left index finger with a paper makers knife on two occassions while working at a papermill.

*while making a new bandsaw blade, I ran my left middle finger (middle knuckle) into a bench grinder exposing the workings of the knuckle.

*ran my left middle finger through a table saw while cutting a 1"X1" board (there was a knot in the wood which caused the board to shoot thru the saw taking my hand with it).

*closed the roll top door on a tractor trailer (big rig or Lorey I think ya'll call them) on my left middle and ring fingers effectively smashing them like grapes......of course the truck was ready to leave and the self locking mechanism latched when I closed the door and it was too low for me to reach to open to release myself ( all I could think of was thr truck driving off with me hung up in the door).

* Ran a four (4) inch long skinning knife into my thigh while out drinking with friends.....we were standing in a field with a bon fire, drinking. I had already watched two guys fall into the fire, then I felt something crawling up my leg, I thought it might be a tick, and since my jeans were abit tight, I took my knifes point to scratch it, one of my drunk friends fell over against me, driving the blade all the way into my thigh muscle......now I know why they made grooves in swords.....to aid in the removal of the blade. The muscle locked up around the blade and once I got it out, all that was availible was rubbing alcohol, toilet paper and masking tape. To this day, I pour alcohol directly int any injury I get.....the reason being, if you can withstand the pain of the alcohol, there is nothing else you will ever do to the injury which will hurt as bad lol.

* Had numerous beer bottles broken over my head in my younger days.

I know that these had no relation to modeling, but, I get carried away sometimes talking about my "scars" lol.

But seriously, cut away from yourself when using a knife, carry the point away from you while transporting one. Wear eye protection while using rotory tools or any other tools and always have a first aid kit availible.......... hopefully one with an option other than rubbing alcohol lol.

* note I have cut my thumb on numerous occassions while using Xacto type knives.

anyway, work safe all,

Greg

*edit: so you dont think I am a total clutz, its been well over 15 yrs since my last accident.....knock on wood.

K

kevingambrell

I have te feeling we all need a safer hobby!!! lol

I lost the top to the first knuckle. had it stitched but still lost it.

I still say the most dangerous thing in any workshop is an open gearbox. iv seen a few very nasty happenings with people getting entangled in gears.

GW the skinning knife has to about take the cake, and its not a bad advert for not drinking lol.

I used to live a few miles outside f Boston and the ticks were a real problem (as were the mozzies) but I always found citranela worked.

Well guys im off to the workshop boiler plates are calling. Lets be safe with the knives and such.

cheers Kevin