sanding after primimg

A

AVB99

HelloHave just finished priming and, being a person who is on a fast learning curve, again am wondering if I should sand the primed surface. Is there any benefit please? A naive question, I know!

T

tecdes

Depends on circumstances Aidan.

If your primer has a slight orange peel effect then wet & dry carefully until flat. Use fine grit paper I finish if it is necessary with an 1800 grit.

If the primer is smooth (I use Vallejo primer) I have been spraying the top coats directly on. If I have a few spots I will go over it with wet & dry 1800 grit. I always use wet & dry with water as you get a smoother base.

Laurie

A

AVB99

Interestingly on the cuurent model I have just strtaed using Vallejo primer and there is a discernible roughness on the surface. It's not too bad but it's there.

Aidan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Interestingly on the cuurent model I have just strtaed using Vallejo primer and there is a discernible roughness on the surface. It's not too bad but it's there. Aidan
In that case give it a gentle once over exactly as Lauries describes above. If you don't that roughness will carry through to your final finish and I guarantee your decals will "silver".

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

I did a bit of a test last week with a few different types of rattle can products......

" As a test I today bought 2 rattle cans of Tamiya Primer, 1 Standard grey and 1 Fine grey, to go along with my Halfords Plastic Grey Primer.

I sprayed 3 different pieces of black plasticard to see the difference between the primers.

What I found was the Halfords primer was a slightly darker grey, went on quite heavy as I covered the area in 3 passes, and dried to a nice very fine textured sheen.

The Tamiya standard primer went on very similar to the halfords brand but has a lighter shade and a slightly smoother finish.

The Tamiya Fine primer was a little more opaque so required a few more passes to cover the area, I'd say from that you have a little more control on the amount of paint your applying. It dried the same as the other Tamiya primer and gives a really smooth texture free finish.

When it comes to strength, I let all 3 air dry for 2-3 hours and attempted enthusiastically to scratch the top surface with my nail. I couldn't get any of them to budge, really adhered well.

Atb, Colin."

Overall if your looking for a smooth finish I found the Tamiya Fine Primer was really smooth but probably would require 2 coats.

Cheers Colin.

T

tecdes

\ said:
Interestingly on the cuurent model I have just strtaed using Vallejo primer and there is a discernible roughness on the surface. It's not too bad but it's there. Aidan
It may be an idea Aidan to try & thin with Vallejo thinners or experiment with different air pressures. Mostly I have found the Vallejo is smooth as smooth.

Laurie

A

AVB99

Thanks for all of the input gentlemen. Air pressure may be the secret. I shall try that before thinning. I understood the Vallejo to be air-brush ready but will certainly try the thinning.

Aidan

T

tecdes

\ said:
I understood the Vallejo to be air-brush ready but will certainly try the thinning. Aidan
Yes it is Aidan but it is a matter of preference results & your airbrush.

I started straight from the bottle, painting that is, but now find I get better results with a drop of thinners (not water) to every four drops of paint. Best to experiment. Found it went on better & with a .2 nozzle/needle the airbrush liked it.

Laurie