SAS jeep fourth model done

D

Dave1973

View attachment 120753

View attachment 120754

View attachment 120755

View attachment 120756

Finished up the SAS jeep today.

Had a go at turning the wheels, and it's not come out too bad, I know where I went wrong and next time I'll make it better,

LOTS of sand weathering as its a desert vehicle, and I expected it to get everywhere, (it did when I served out there! I mean EVERYWHERE)

I didn't weather the gun with too much dust, as any milly mucker will know, your weapon is ALWAYS kept in top condition, screw the rest of the kit.

Be gentle! It is my fourth attempt!View attachment 120753

View attachment 120754

View attachment 120819

View attachment 120820

View attachment 120821

View attachment 120822

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That looks rather good, weathering should be more subtle, try weathering powders, crushed up pastels a pencil used on edges gives a nice, dull worn metallic look.

Good though, well done.

D

dougie

It is a good attempt. Agree with Si About weathering but you have still done good work. I would be quite happy with that. Nice one.

L

Laurie

Very nice model Dave. Read half a dozen books on Stirling and his Lieutenants and I have never

seen that array of petrol May be wrong but they would never have presented the enemy with what

amounts to a bomb on the bonnet to fire at. They had lorries like the LDRG and had dumps of

petrol up and down Libiya on the edge of the dessert and on the Jalo Oasis

They had usually a mechanic on each or every other jeep and were able with the spares on board

or hoarded at the dumps to perform quite major feats of engineering

Not a criticism of the model which gives a great representation of a very British way of fighting a war

which you have re-created and I like very much. The wind in the scarf is very much like many photos

I have seen. Also like the wheel at an angle as they look much more workman like than pointing straight.

Got to admit something After reading so much and seeing so many photos it is the first time I have realised

that the SAS jeeps were left hand drive Amazing.

Laurie

D

Dave1973

Laurie,

I'm Ex Pathfinder Para Regt, my dad was SF for twenty eight years, and it wouldn't be petrol on there.

the side tanks and a few back tanks would contain fuel, the rest of the Gerry cans would hold drinking water.

Remember, these units would normally work in units of pairs or section patrols, and be out without resup for a week or more.

Therefore, they carried their water in Gerry cans just the same as we did in Iraq.

the Long range desert group were disbanded shortly afterward, and the Cypriate units with the SAS (which is where dad served, he started during the suez crisis, and have pics of him in Arab dress on these wagons with Gerry cans literally plastered all over, hanging off every conceivable tie down!) and they worked as a two vehicle unit.

Every member has to be capable of basic radio, mechanics, medical and language skills, so there was no extra mechanic on these wagons.

The reason the jeeps were LHD was because they used the US jeeps. This was because the original Bedford Lorries were simply unable to do the same job in the theatre they worked in. I remember dad telling me about two Bedford trucks from the Leic. red and one from the beds/Herts reg. Being both axled in sand, and halfway knackered because of th grit and sand.

These jeeps just seemed to handle the weight, have the manoeuvrability, and work, until the introduction of the LW Land Rover.

Then you got Pinkies, and Dinkies!

L

Laurie

Apologies Dave got mixed up with the PPA Popski's Private Army.

All Popski's Jeeps only an odd bedroll etc on the bonnet. He had

most of the time a lorry with each patrol at least in Italy.

If you have not read Popski,s book I would recommend it.

It is a book in two halves First mixing with the Arabs in Libya

intelligence gathering The next his army of Jeeps causing

chaos in the desert and Italy.

Not as gun ho as the SAS but he managed in Italy, for instance,

to kid the Germans a number of times that their town was surrounded

by a huge force The Germans surrendered only to find 10 jeeps approx

had been racing around the perimeter causing mayhem

Apologies again Dave old age memory I am afraid.

Laurie

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
nicely done, its a lovely kit, done it a few times......got one i did 2 years ago and another i did @ 35 years ago!!

ive always done sand or mud y making up a slurry wash with pigments, splodge it on sparingly, let it dry, use a very stiff brush to remove it again.....it leaves the powders in the nooks and crannies

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like the looks of this one,what I would of said has been said by others, ;)

D

Dave1973

thanks again everyone,

And Laurie, I was merely giving you some more insight into my 14 years with the Para reg, and my dads experience. Unfortunately, some of the things I've read in so called 'experiences' books by now infamous authors who shall remain nameless have so many flaws and untruths that I find them ridiculous to read.

Again, Popski was operating in an area where streams and running water areas were more common, so replenishing would have been much easier. Out in the sandbox, any water you do find is an unknown. During the Iraq conflict we found contaminated streams, and village wells that were purposefully contaminated, the poor civilians were being tortured by their own people for what?

our family friend wrote a book about Princes Gate, which Dad was a part of, and we couldn't believe the sensationalising and exaggeration written!

There's very few books which carry the truth, (to some extent)

If you read a book called Unscathed, about my group and our senseless escape from Sierra Leone, that will give a near on true descriptive of what goes on. I didn't write it, but the Rupert that did has my full respect for his actions with us, and his leadership.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
This is a good attempt but I would do a dry brush for the weathering as ti gives a more dusty effect :smiling3: