Sausage-fingered optimist reporting for duty.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Greetings fellow survivors.

Decided to do some exploring and found this place. A £2.75 initial investment seemed propitious and worthy.

Am in my third modelling adolescence. My first, the usual Grandfather and stringy Airfix tube glue knocking up Spitfires and battleships which ended up looking like strategically-prodded BluTac. My second, a more considered and dextrous assault on Tamiya's F1 car collection - self-taught and with some eventual success.

My third, 15 years on. Have got back into it having got married and taken ten years to negotiate mess-making space. First re-entry, murdered the Revell Big Boy Locomotive. Should have just dipped it in Dulux black matt. Second, refined some technique and a reasonable stab at the 5145 yacht, then spent several patient months on the 1:700 Titanic.

I got lucky (I think) and bought a huge job lot of Revell models and acrylic paints at a boot sale - turns out to be a complete set of paints for £20 - some new and some several years old and half empty. At present I'm a brusher, the airbrushing thing scares me a bit, I have a feeling I'd repaint the living room. If anyone has a real Janet and John thread on airbrushing, that would be very handy.

I'm sure doyens of the art such as your good selves would be wincing at my techniques. I have massive hands. Massive. Fine detail is a matter of pot luck, so hopefully I'll pick up some assistance on here. One thing I do have on my side is a talent for reading instructions and translating them. Ikea flatpacks are Mr Men books to me, and weirdly model instructions fly off the page. Just can't quite translate a simple instruction to a finished product sometimes.

Please excuse the newbie questions, the ignorance and the lack of enthusiasm in trawling YouTube's search. I prefer reading to watching I suppose.

Anyway, hopefully eventually I can contribute as well as leech. Happy New Year to you all.

D

Deleted member 4539

Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum :smiling3:.
Very nice looking models and anyway it is your model and your fun that counts.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Andrew. Ask all the questions you want and don't forget that there have been many subjects covered already so, a quick search might help find the answers too.

D

Deleted member 6559

Welcome to the forum Andrew. Some great work there.

All levels of participation count and please ask as many questions as you like - grist to the mill here.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
And a warm welcome from me too Andrew.... like what you’ve built already :thumb2:
Is that a pooch I spy in front of your Tv?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly lot with a range of interests and experience. Love Doggy Conkers - collie/spaniel X maybe or pure Border Collie.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Andrew,
- like the luxury cruiser ( reminds me of my own - I wish! ). We're a friendly, knowledgeable bunch here - If we can't answer any question, then someone will know where to find the answer!
We were all newbies once, and asking questions can help you avoid a lot of the pitfalls (which most of us have fallen down in the past ). So jump in and join in!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi andrew welcome to the forum , loving the sunseeker yacht , ive got that in the stash , its a lovely looking model. Feel free to ask anything youre not sure about and as Al says the search function is a mine of info , much better than most of those modelling videos on you tube! Cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Andrew, a pleasure to meet you. We are all still able to learn something here, so make yourself at home and join in the fun!
Nice rigging on the Titanic.

Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
And a big welcome from Germany Andrew. The guys have said it all and did you take the pictures of the Locomotive with an iPad? They look like some of mine.

Jump in, the water's fine, but a bit chilly this time of year……..

Prost
Allen