Scratch built coach

R

rkapuaala

[video=youtube;OxzjPz2jOs8]

This is a short video of a coach I scratch built. Its populated with the figures I carved and is being pulled by an Accucraft 4-4-0 1:20.32 scale Live Steam engine that I am modifying to look like an early version of Lanakila.

B

Bunkerbarge

An absolutely superb example of scratchbuilding. What materials did you use for the build? I take it that is a real steam engine doing the pulling in which case a couple of shots of the engine would be very interesting.

R

rkapuaala

Thanks. I used a combination of materials for the coach. Walnut from my scrap bin, cedar (white and red) also from my scrap bin. The siding was salvaged from the kit I bought on ebay as was some of the 1/8" and 1/4" ply wood. I used acetate for the windows and they are wood laminated to styrene. I made a master of the trucks from various materials and then cast them out of polyurethane resin. The wheels I got from Sierra (very nice wheels) The springs on the trucks and metal bracing are all scraps of brass I formed and soldered.

The engine is an Accucraft 4-4-0 Narrow Guage Live Steamer. It used to be the general, but I've been at work modifying it slowly. I rebuilt the tender frame out of walnut and removed the metal doors on the tool chests and I am in the process of making new ones out of white cedar. I glued some koa ones to them temporarily. I'll take a few shots of her when I get a chance.

Oh and I photo etched the lamp brackets out of brace and the handrails are 3/64ths" brass tubes with steel wire inside them.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a beautiful piece of work. You are one fine craftsman sir!

Cheers

Paul

W

Woderwick

Hello Richard, I see you have also strayed into here :smiling3:

Good stuff

Rod