SE5a CONSTRUCTION BEGINNING TO . . .

First Name
Grahame
Barry to the rescue

Before I tried the ammonia on the real decking I experimented with the piece I’d cut out for the cockpit opening, not that I didn’t trust you Barry!!

decking 7.jpg

As I needed to tighten the curve that’s what I tried, as you can see it did indeed hold its new shape and this was a rush job, not left over night.

What is not evident from the photo is just how pliable the wood became using ammonia instead of water and I only brushed it on, I didn’t leave it soaking as I would have done with water.

Having satisfied myself that this was the way to go I tried it on the decking but this time I will leave it over night to thoroughly dry.

decking 8.jpg

I really like this “reverse” jig idea, I’m sure this method will get a lot of use in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well there you go Grahame ! it certainly makes a big difference and allows the ply to go supple,the ammonia does not degrade the ply just in case you were thinking it could have detrimental effects,the adhesive bond re-cures in a few hours.

Clever trick.

First Name
Grahame
Now that the decking is the correct shape it’s time to try and fit it. In order to work around the cabane struts and bracing wires the holes have had to be made quite large, these will be filled after the decking is permanently fitted, but it’s still a bit awkward.

decking 9.jpg

On full size they remove the cabane struts and bracing wires, fit and cover the decking then re-fit them, unfortunately at this size we don’t have the luxury of being able to climb inside to tighten up the nuts!

The instrument panel is a good fit and looks quite “busy” when it’s buried in the fuselage; this is when the shadows and highlights really bring it alive.

decking 10.jpg

It’ll look a bit busier with the clock,altimeter and throttle, which are fitted on the cockpit coaming, and the switch box fitted to the side decking, not forgetting the control column.

R

rjwood_uk

will you be doing the rudder pedals as well?

looks busy enough at the moment!!! lovely work as usual mate.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is the sort of cockpit that makes you want to hop onboard and fly her.

First Name
Grahame
I’ll wait and see how much is visible before I decide whether or not to include rudder pedals etc.; weight always has to be a consideration. It’s a bit of a “chicken & egg” situation as the decking has to be in position to check what’s visible but the detailing has to be added before the decking, although the pedals may be able to be fitted from below.

B

Bunkerbarge

Graheme, superb as always. The cockpit is a thing of beauty and all the more satisfying for having made it from appropriate materials and from your own ideas.

Barry, it sounds like the ammonia is softening the glue within the ply laminations, allowing it to become supple but it returns to its rigid state when the ammonia completely evaporates. Neat idea and very usefull in many aircraft and boat applications.

First Name
Grahame
Cutting the inspection hatch and the opening for the Vickers involves marking and cutting straight lines on a curved surface. A good help for this is to use the plastic “banding” that is used to hold cardboard cartons together, these hold their straight edge but easily follow the curve.

decking 11.jpg

Another useful item, to hold things steady at an angle, is a “bean bag”; the better half made me a couple, hence the tasteful floral pattern!

decking 12.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
How thoughtful of your good lady Grahame,those bean bags look just the job.

A

alan2525

I really like the attention to detail in this build. It really makes you appreciate the actual construction of the aircraft, you get a feeling of knowing the aircraft as if you could hop in and already be familiar with the controls.

Really nicely observed and executed work.

N

Nigel.D

Grahame I have been following your build for a while and now i just have to post and tell you that Its bloody superb I just love the cockpit and the way the whole thing is taking shape ! Its like building a full size one from scratch !!Keep it up mate its enthralling!!! Thanks

First Name
Grahame
The control column, or joystick if you prefer, is always a prominent part of any cockpit; luckily it’s one part of the SE5a that’s really basic.

The top is a curtain ring, the column itself aluminium tube and the rest various pieces of plastic tube.

control column 1.jpg

With 3 more lengths of snake outer and a lick of paint it’s almost finished.

control column 2.jpg

When the paints dry I’ll bind the top ring with button thread then add the 2 triggers, made from litho plate and that’ll be it; simple!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Quite an elaborate control column that Grahame,the binding will really add to the realism.

First Name
Grahame
For some unknown reason the aileron cables are connected to the control column under the pilots seat, this seems strange as in the wing they run very close to the front spar, but as they will not be seen it makes the pivot a lot easier to make.

control column 3.jpg

In the first photo you can see the different components used to make it; white plastic tube, black Plasticard for the flange and collar, toothpick for the grease nipple and a couple of slivers of hex. rod for the nuts. After painting it looks very “ex-works”, but a bit of dry brushing with silver Solalac will soon change that.

I’d originally made the triggers from litho plate but decided they were just too fragile and would soon fatigue with the engine vibration, so these are made from and old “bean tin”.

control column 4.jpg

In the background is my “working sketch” for the top of the control column. We’ll have to wait and see how similar the finished item is to the design.

First Name
Grahame
As Barry said the binding has really improved the look of the control column; first chord all over (button thread), then leather for the top half (Solatex).

control column 7.jpg

After the addition of the triggers with their cables the control column and the pivot can be assembled; with a little weathering, which isn’t obvious from the photo, it looks ready for the cockpit.

control column 6.jpg

R

rjwood_uk

looks great!! that binding look so realistic it hard to think it was made from thread. superb job!

First Name
Grahame
The decision that the instrument panel is finished has to be taken at some point and that time has come, so it’s glued in position and the decking added; it’s too late now so I’ll not look at any more photos of instrument panels.

There’s a large cut out for the Vickers.

decking 14.jpg

The view through the inspection panel will determine how much more cockpit detail is needed.

decking 13.jpg

It’s only small but it certainly gives a good view of the Vickers so that’ll need to be quite detailed.

Some of the instruments etc. are actually attached to the decking which makes life a bit awkward to say the least. The left hand side is fairly uncluttered; before I fitted the right hand rear section of decking I glued the radiator flap control lever to the left hand decking.

cockpit 7.jpg

The right hand side is a lot more complicated; so far I’ve fitted the magneto switches, the main electrical switch box and an aluminium bracket (no idea what it’s for), still to go before I can finish the decking are the hand cranked magneto and the flare box.

cockpit 8.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Beautiful Grahame it looks really businesslike,how do you manage to keep your workshop so clean and tidy ? there is not a speck of balsa dust anywhere !

T

tigertc

One question has sprung to mind whilst watching this incredible build thread.

With so much detail, love, and time spent on this project; Won't it be a bit gut wrenching when you have to dope it up and cover the majority of that exquisite detail?