Seawolf Build Started - watch this space..

P

periscope

Well managed to get started with the sub today - as anyone who has already built this model knows, the first move is to wire up the electrics so that they can be fitted into the WTC tray. I got the capacitors and the leads wired to the motor - connected the speed controller and the receiver - switched the TX on - switched the speed controller on so I could program it - nothing happened. Really irritating aint it - after spending ages metering through the wiring I found that one of the spade connectors for the battery terminals was not passing the current even though the wire was showing through the end of the sleeve. Soon cured that with the soldering iron - now all is OK, forward, reverse, and the motor's even turning in the right direction... whew, so the next stage is to build the tray for the WTC. On page 24 of the instructions the second item down (still under stage 1) just says 'Drill out the three 3.2mm holes for the pushrods' I take it that it means the three marked places in the rear WTC end cap. The only thing is I'll have to figure out which hole is for the on/off switch rod - I'm not fitting that so there's no point drilling the hole for that one - I should be able to figure it out on the plan. As soon as I start the proper build I'll put pictures on as I progress they might then be of some use to anyone thinking of trying this sub.

Think I need a lay down now after all that brainwork with the electrics.:vacat:

Ian

P

periscope

Well here's where I'm up to just now. In the pictures you will see that the stern tube is fitted and also the front 9cm threaded screw The tray inside the WTC has the switch and the switch wiring in place. I was very relieved when I fitted the bottom guide rail in the WTC and then found that the tray slid in OK into the correct position. With version 2 having the long threaded screw fitting for nipping up the Stern cap of the WTC (from the front) I had instructions to enlarge the front centre hole to 3.5mm to allow the end of the threaded rod to screw up tight onto the brass rod attached to the inner tray. When I'd done this and slid the inner tray into place I found that the centre brass threaded rod (fastened to the inner tray) wasn't in the centre of the hole - not much could be done about this 'cos the inner tray locates into flanges on the front cap, however when I screwed the 9cm rod home it aligned the centre piece and everything screws up tight. The next step, which is a bit worrying, is to glue the front cap into place - this will be the point of no return 'cos it will just have to line up with the inner tray when it's slid into place. Then I think the next stage is to fix the servos and connecting rods etc into place on the inner tray, when this is done I think I move on to building the submarine around the WTC - more of that later. I'll take a picture of the inner tray when it's complete with it's gear. Gosh - I just hope I'm doing everthing right so far....

Ian

View attachment 13271

View attachment 13272

Seawolf2WTCa.jpg

Seawolf2WTCb.jpg

N

Nigel.D

really interesting mate but for us static guys Whats a Wtc???????? please

B

BigJBB

Hello all, for you "static guys" may I recommend not sitting down on the superglue again :hmmm: Seriously A Water Tight Compartment is a sound idea in a sub, personally I'd like if any of my model boats / ships were to be watertight at anytime even on completion :bounce:

hope this helped clarify matters

cheers

Jim

P

periscope

Sorry Nigel - being new at model boating myself I thought everyone knew the abreviations - yep it's a watertight compartment (pictured above) The front end cap is glued to the compartment, the rear one has a tray containing the RX, servos motor and stern tube etc glued to it then the whole thing slides into the WTC. and is fastened in. In this case it's by a threaded rod on the end of the tray which pokes through the front cap and is tightened up with a long threaded tube. On my two pictures you can see the propshaft sticking out of the rear and the long threaded nut sticking out of the front. Hope that's clear mate.

Ian

N

Nigel.D

wow now i understand and can appreciate it even more well done mate im impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!