Seawolf Dive

P

periscope

When the Seawolf increases speed to dive, does the water flow tilt the forward dive planes or the rear fins to do this? The reason I ask is because on the plan in order to over-ride the automatic dive a servo is fitted connected to the rear fins. Just interested that's all - I suppose all will be revealed when I start to sail the boat..

Ian

A

ajg141

Ian

On the Mk1 one version the bottom of the periscope was attached via a linkage and spring to the front planes. Can't vouch for yours though! The idea is that when the 'radar' went under the water it caused the bow planes to tilt upwards and force the sub to surface. The rear planes are used to keep the sub at about periscope depth with the 'radar' just above.

Andrew

P

periscope

Yep - the Mk2 works the same for surfacing Andrew, but how does it start to dive when it picks up speed - that's the bit I'm unsure about.

Ian

A

adzam

the rear dive planes are used to force the nose under the surface ian. :smiling3:

A

ajg141

Ian

The front planes are permanently set at a slight down angle. This causes the bow to submerge as the speed increases. Counterbalance the effect with the stern planes as necessary. I did find that I needed to have slightly more down angle than Robbe recommended - but that's probably down to my trimming abilities!

Andrew

P

periscope

Thanks Chris and Andrew - got it now. By the way I've been reading the manual diligently for a day or two now - I think I'm about ready to start - I made the stand today out of plywood and gave it a coat of varnish. I went to our club site yesterday afternoon - I see the weed is still a problem there but it's lying on the bottom. I suppose when the sub starts to dive, the dive can be corrected by using the stern planes or even by stopping the sub from going forward it would probably halt the dive (I hope) and avoid tangling the weed. I might have to go to the York club site to do my trials - they have a much bigger pond and very little weed that I can see - this is probably because of all the ducks and geese - I think they help to keep it down - anyway we'll see later (in about three years when I get the sub finished)

Ian