Seems to be a recurring theme...

First Name
Shipton
What ho! Chaps.

As with so many others here I have returned to scale model building after a fairly lengthy hiatus - in my case about 45 years. Although an obsessive and competitive modeller through my teens, life put a couple of little obstacles in the way: firstly, joining the Royal Air Force caused a huge discontinuity, leaving neither time nor facilities to keep my hobby alive, and then the bliss (never know who's reading this! ;)) of married life meant that modelling sort of faded into the undergrowth.

Decades passed.

And then in 2019 I had a sudden and unexpected urge to start building models again. But not just any models. This time around my interest is almost exclusively in building aircraft from the Great War, with the odd excursion as far as World War II. Almost anything from the period is fair game, but my major preoccupation is building 1/48th scale models of all the aircraft in which the Victoria Cross was won in WWI. For the past three years I've been ottering away (which is like beavering but much more fun) in solitude, but have now found Scale Model Forums!

And there it is.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Welcome Captain. Good to see another gaining their wings here.

Looking forward to seeing your work. With absolutely no criticism of anyone or anything, WWII aircraft dominate both the market and the hobby - seeing more from a different era, especially WWI, will be of great interest to those of us who don't really go in for WWII modelling.

Pip pip!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yup....here you are, and Welcome hope to see you work soon. Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome aboard Capt. Bellinger, I have only done three pre WWII planes in my lifetime and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your collection of builds.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome.
It's a good place to be and we all hope that you enjoy it in here.
Hope to see some of your builds.
I bet after a long break you too have been overwhelmed by the amount of things that are available to us plastic bashers.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome aboard Cap'n - to say I'm looking forward to WW1 builds would be an understatement - I love 'em but have problems with the rigging. Will your WW2 builds be multi-wing? (I love Gladiators and Stringbags!) Welcome aboard once again.
Steve

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN A WELCOME from me as well you will love it here a great bunch of guys an gals
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
....... and it's a warm welcome from me too :smiling3:
I look forward to seeing you around the various bloggs.
Andy,(also ex RAF ;) )

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A warm welcome from me too. If you haven't already noticed, this is a complete madhouse. Best forum there is !!
John.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
What Ho Captain. Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing your work….Live near Amesbury do you by any chance?

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You cannot beat a good old urge, sadly the police did not agree;)

A warm welcome sir

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another warm welcome Shipton.
If your mad like many on here you'll enjoy it .

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome!
I've only delved one into the world of winged WW1 and struggled with the rigging to the point I didn't enjoy the build.

I'm tempted to do a WW1 aircraft again now I've learnt some techniques but will wait for someone here (wink) to point me in the direction of a really good kit...

Del

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Shipton,
welcome to the forum - 1/48 WWI aircraft? I've turned out quite a lot over the years, but only a few over the last couple of years. Last three were the Eduard Albatross D.III & Fokker DVII, and the Roden Junkers D.I, but I still have a few in the stash, waiting for my next WWI phase. They're a little more difficult to make, now - aging fingers etc etc, but they're still good every now and then!
Dave