Sexton 1/35 25pdr

B

Buttonman

Hi Guys sorry been away,

This box arrived on my door step, hav'nt a clue who from.

coming together nicely, gonna try to add some weld along the gun front cover and fenders.

Any one know of a good crew to go with it, In the main pics there british paras, very strange.

martin :wise:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
superb kit buddy got the yank version waiting in the wing look forward to seeing more of this build

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bugger I was wondering where that had gone!! lol

I don't fancy being in that when they kick it out the back of a transport plane :laughing:

As for the figures, do you think the 25lb'er crew from Bronco would be usable. They have them in European togs.

Ian M

B

Buttonman

Ian my friend you may laff, but i just put Sexton 25pdr in google images and guess who,s mug shot was in the photoes. your missus must be well happy. he he he he

Martin

B

Buttonman

Couple of updates:

Hope the weld job passes muster

Found this picture and hopefully i'm gonna copy it,

Martin

B

Buttonman

next instalment coming on , trying to make the sandbags at mo.

Got the netting and the crossbars.

More soon

Martin

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Martin.

What are you using for the mud?

Ian M

B

Buttonman

Mig and Ak Pigments mixwd with Decal fix so i can reactivated it with a wet brush or you can use matt or gloss varnish for a more permanent fix the gloss makes it look fresh wet. once dry you can build it up some more, as much as you like.

Making sand bags out of putty is a major pain.

Martin

B

Buttonman

oh and i also use mud from the garden dryed and sived, charcoal is handy too both black, crushed and ash.

Martin

M

mobear

hey martin this is looking very tasty indeed,keep up with the pics lol

mobear

B

Buttonman

Thanks Ole only gone and misslaid me hessian and soldering iron!!!

More soon

Martin

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No worries Martin. You cant solder Hessian. :laughing:

Ian M

B

Buttonman

My missus has a list of things to do this month, I expect you guys get the same, Anyhoo 1 of the items was tidy my garage(been putting it off till warmer weather) the only place i had left to search was said garage.

Started the garage about 15.00 including tea breaks and rest breaks, Tidied up my old bench tools all put away rubish baged still no soldering iron or Hession.

Last place to check fishing rods about 15 of them plus nets and odd bags, 1st rod sleeve i moved every thing was there in an old chest of drawers. finishing time was late and the garage looks amazing.

Last place to look first place to find, lesson learned always look in the last place.

Martin

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Martin

I have one of these kits in my stash. The vehicle holds special significance for me as my Grandad drove one during WW2.

The build seems to be coming along well and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished model.

The figures on the box are not paras British armoured crews wore helmets like the paras. Also a word on the kit, I don't know if you know this already but the kit bogies are incorrect for the Sexton. The Canadian bogies (this vehicle was manufactured over in Montreal) have reinforced ribs. It's possible that these could have been replaced in the field but as standard they should have the ribs. I've absolutely dozens of pics of the machine in the Firepower Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich and I think it's a terrific subject.

I'll be watching this build for sure.

All the best

Paul

B

Buttonman

Thanks Paul

Always nice to hear from people who have a personal connection with a model.

Just hope I can do it justice.

I have a question where does the camouflage support poles fit are they inside or outside?

Could you please add some photo's to the thread or pm then

Thanks again Paul

Martin

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Camouflage poles? I think you may mean the bad weather tarpaulin. If not the cam netting can be stowed anywhere the Firepower cam net is stowed on the rear deck. I've included a pics of both + a pic of the bogies to show you what I mean. You can see that both the Sexton and the Sherman bogies are fitted to this machine along with pressed wheels. It's possible that in the restoration though that the Sherman bogies were fitted.

Hope this helps

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've just thought again, do you mean range finding poles? Those are the black and white poles seen in the 3rd pic.

Hope this helps

Paul