Shading desert camo

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
im building a hurricane in desert camo and I'm a bit foxed as to how I weather the camo on the top side !

Underside is easy as it's just one colourView attachment 89942

but the top is a camo now I don't want to use black as this will interfere with the lighter mid stone and make it look wrong and if I use a lighter colour you won't see the detail on the dark earth
Does anyone have any suggestions?

image.jpg

First Name
Adrian
I would have preshaded the model first then apply the top coats, but as you have painted it first I would suggest a very subtle post shade, just a drop of a lighter colour in your main paint and spray the centre staying away from the edges, you could also try pastels just dust the areas with a fine coating.

I built the Airfix set and painted it the same colours as yours, the Spitfire had a wash applied to it and then wiped off.

View attachment 89943

Hope this helps

Adrian

002.JPG

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Adrian I'll have to use a brush but the systems the same :smiling3:

Ps cool spit !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A fair sun bleached effect can be achieved with use of a tiny amount of white in a mat clearcoat.

Paint and decal the model as per norm.

Use the white tinted clear varnish to slowly build up a faded effect. More on the top surfaces than the sides. More in the centres than the edges of panels.

Also on the rondels on the top of the wings. Try it out on a junker (or a plastic box.)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I usually post shade the camouflage colours with a lightened shade to give a sun bleached effect. I also use a tinted varnish, as per Ian, over the decals and anywhere else I feel needs it, except that I use a light grey rather than white.

Cheers

Steve