Sheds

D

Deleted member 7181

Andy, does the storage area need all the insulation, OSB etc?
If not, have you thought about building two sheds. One for modelling built at top spec, and one as a lean to off of it for storage only. Decent quality, but without all the bells and whistles..could bring your budget under control.....
Not so much Tim, but I want it to be perfectly dry and at least stay reasonably warm in winter so that I can store household paints and more delicate items in there. I already have 2 sheds, and was trying to consolidate them into one, better building.

Plus, if I need more workspace in the future I could remove the internal partition wall and spread out into the storage section.

Are you building yourself from scratch or having a prefab and adding to it?
From scratch is the plan. 4x2 studwork sheathed in OSB and a breathable membrane, battened over then clad. Rockwool insulation, vapour barrier and plasterboard finish inside.

Roof will be 6x2 so I can have a proper cold roof system with 100mm PIR, 50mm(ish) ventilation gap, 18mm OSB, then EPDM.

The hardest bit is getting all of that inside permitted development rules of 2.5m max height while still keeping plenty of headroom!

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
I'd go the extra bit of time and build bigger even if it costs more but that said you could always build a workshop and buy a prefab to cohabit the same space?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Perfect in your build plan Andy, 18mm for the sheathing ?
What about the floor, any thoughts on that.

D

Deleted member 7181

Firstly James, sorry that I've gatecrashed your topic. I'll start my own if I ever get around to building!

That is one option I've considered though - tarting up my current shed / hobby room for storage, then building a new workshop. Trouble is the house has been extended 4 times so I don't want to take up too much more of the garden. I have so many different layouts on the go it's hard to decide. My Sketchup looks like a medieval village :smiling5:

John - probably 18mm yes. Many seem to use 11mm, but for the extra few quid I might as well go thicker.

As for the floor, with the popularity of living Sedum roofs I thought it might be nice to build straight onto the grass and have a living floor. Might be a bit tight to swing the mower around mind.

Joking of course, I've put more thought into the floor/base than anything else. If I stick to the 8' width I can use my existing base of 2x2 slabs on a compacted MOT / sand base. It hasn't moved in over 10 years so I think I did it right. That would allow me to use weedy floor joists as they'll have plenty of support, giving better headroom inside, but probably propped up on cross bearers to give some airflow underneath. The supplier I'm looking at does tanalised C24 at not much more than regular timber, so would probably go for that throughout.

Going wider opens a whole new can of worms. I won't go into that as I've already taken up too much of James' space :smiling4:

Reactions: JR

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So instead of modelling I decided to wire up some temporary lights (run from an extension in house but ready for mains connection when I get cable run and tested).

Also altered my stash storage today which is now wall mounted.
Tomorrow job is to remove wheels from tool chest, put under bench where compressor is and then eBay compressor.
Also need to modify welding bench so new small silent compressor will go under it.

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_164225.jpg
    IMG_20201221_164225.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20201221_164218.jpg
    IMG_20201221_164218.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20201221_164213.jpg
    IMG_20201221_164213.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20201221_164156.jpg
    IMG_20201221_164156.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 48
D

Deleted member 7181

I like the lights, nice and low profile rather than the chunky ones I keep banging my head on!

Also really like the "exposed" wiring. I see many people burying it in the walls, but for me it's a shed, and it'll be much easier to add fittings or swap things around in the future if you've gone for the trunking approach.

Really getting jealous now.... :smiling5:

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
I like the lights, nice and low profile rather than the chunky ones I keep banging my head on!

Also really like the "exposed" wiring. I see many people burying it in the walls, but for me it's a shed, and it'll be much easier to add fittings or swap things around in the future if you've gone for the trunking approach.

Really getting jealous now.... :smiling5:
Lights are great, LED and about 40 quid for all 4 off eBay.

I considered doing the wiring behind the boarding but went for trunking, as you said it's easier to make changes if needed.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So decided to make inroads into the modelling corner today. Cladding walls and below shelves to neaten it up and then add battening for custom paint storage to maximise space and get rid of my pre made racks.
Also going to add some mirroring to further improve light in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_162118.jpg
    IMG_20201223_162118.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20201222_162500.jpg
    IMG_20201222_162500.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 38

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I'm really loving this thread, I currently rent, but looking to buy a house next year....top of my buy list....SHED!!!

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi James
You are doing an excellent job on this. Just imagine your feelings of satisfaction and achievement when you sit at the bench for the first time. You have some favourite music playing, a beer/coffee/tea/coke (delete as appropriate) by your side and you open your latest kit :tongue-out3:
Jim

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi James
You are doing an excellent job on this. Just imagine your feelings of satisfaction and achievement when you sit at the bench for the first time. You have some favourite music playing, a beer/coffee/tea/coke (delete as appropriate) by your side and you open your latest kit :tongue-out3:
Jim

Thanks Jim,

All this work is being done really to avoid dogging the trench between the house and shed for new power supply.
Reached the point where I can't put it off anymore as there's nothing else I haven't done.

But yes I do feel pretty chuffed with how I've bodged it together so far.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good......not sure I’d want to dig a trench at this time of year either.....