Sherman Simplicity! 1.72 Airfix Starter Kit

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Had great fun putting together this 1.72 Airfix Starter Set Sherman.
Absolutely no parts fit issues, painting was relatively trouble free and the decals went on with no problems at all.
A nice, easy kit to build between more complex projects or as a side project; this kit ticks all the boxes for me!
My only minor niggle is the all in one track/bogie/wheel moulding which might be a bit of a challenge for new modellers to paint up (or an I just hankering for the days of separate wheels and the flat edge of a heated up screwdriver to stick those old rubber tracks in place...?!)

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_172308_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_172308_HDR.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240414_172339_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_172339_HDR.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240414_172252_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240414_172252_HDR.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 21

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Robert

That's nicely turned out. I have two in the stash but have not built them yet

Apologies if you already knew this but the tracks you added as armour are link and length tracks so you can do them separately as you suggest.

Again well done.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That doesn’t look too bad. Rather thick as far as the details are concerned, but that’s no surprise for a quick-build model, and the only things it’s really missing are the stowage bins on turret and hull rears. I take it all of the spare-track armour comes with it?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That doesn’t look too bad. Rather thick as far as the details are concerned, but that’s no surprise for a quick-build model, and the only things it’s really missing are the stowage bins on turret and hull rears. I take it all of the spare-track armour comes with it?

Hi jakko.

They do come with it but they're not officially for armour.

You have the option of doing the single piece suspension and tracks or link and length with individual suspension.

Check out Scalemates.... There's a link to a Britmodeler review with full sprues shots.

My guess is that they want to make it easy for new or young modellers, whist giving more experienced ones something more complicated to work on.

HTH.

Andrew

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Robert

That's nicely turned out. I have two in the stash but have not built them yet

Apologies if you already knew this but the tracks you added as armour are link and length tracks so you can do them separately as you suggest.

Again well done.

Andrew
Thank you Andrew. . The kit only came with the all in one moulded tracks. The added tracks are from my spares box!

Robert E Shedd

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi jakko.

You have the option of doing the single piece suspension and tracks or link and length with individual suspension.

Check out Scalemates.... There's a link to a Britmodeler review with full sprues shots.

My guess is that they want to make it easy for new or young modellers, whist giving more experienced ones something more complicated to work on.

HTH.

Andrew
Hi Jakko, no, the tracks and other bits are from my spares bin. The kit only came with the all in one track option. Was a Lidl special so might be a dumbed down version of the starter kit? I don't know.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That would be a bit odd, given that it’s what looks like Churchill track on the hull and turret :smiling3: