She's finished !

M

mattski

Well, kinda - I've still got to do a satin coat, attach the spinner with tape/tack and glue the canopy on but see what you think.

More pics are here:- Spitfire build photo album

Tweaks:-

- Roundels, fin-flash and identity letters painted on using Miracle Masks (the decals would have wrecked the detail imho)

- Yellow prop-tips and wing-identity strips were painted on, the latter where a pain in the neck !

- Wing-walk lines painted on.

- Weathering done with pro-modeller dark dirt wash and Tamiya burnt blue and oil-stain weathering.

Here's the pics...

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolutely stunning. I'm still finding it hard to believe that those marking have been hand painted, they look quite amazing. The weathering is perfect, the detail is absolutely spot on and the finish is quite beautiful. The problem is that you have completely put me off building this kit as I know I could never come anywhere near this level of perfection!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yet another real beauty! ***** from me Matt

Gern

M

mattski

Thanks for all of the support guys, it was the amazing builds on here that kept me motivated. There's things with the Spit I'm not completely happy with but I'm happy with the results, esp. considering it's been a few years since I've built on 'properly' ! Now, when should I start my F-16...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well well, another 5 Star Spitfire, cracking job Matt.

They don't get much better than this!

I have been following yours and Steves from the off and it was nice to read your mutual support throughout the build.

Re. the canopy, I like it just as it is...

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As above,that's fantastic. An absolutely first classs build of a very nice kit. Nice job with the masks,I deliberately used the kit decals but if I built another one I would definitely mask,especially having seen this!

Anyone else considering splashing out on this kit (it's a good chunk of wedge!) can see what both Matt and I have made of it. It really looks like a Spitfire,I think it's worth the money.

Cheers

Steve (tea breaks over...back on me 'ead)

C

Caledonia

Hi Matt, its all been said above - stunning, a well deserved 5 Star. Cheers Derek

M

mattski

thanks guys :smiling: As Steve said, it is pretty expensive but it's hard to see how they can make a better kit and I think it's worth every penny (even allowing for me wrecking three sets of canopies...).

The only shortcommings where really my lack of ability. I found the cockpit and engine particularly challenging. It would be great if they provided an option for not having the engine if you just wanted the bonnets closed and the exhaust are, arguably, unnecessarily fiddly but other than that, the kit is amazing.

It was also a true pleasure and education to build as I adore the real ones, this gave me an insight into them I'd never had before.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Brilliant, if mine turned out half as good I would be happy

N

noble

What a beauty Matt an absolute cracker, well done mate you should be very proud.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent Spitfire build Matt. The code letters are magnificent - must try those masks one day!

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but 5 stars from me anyway.

Cheers

Paul

Mmmm, don't seem to be able to award the 5 stars to this thread but you've got the thumbs up from me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Top class model that! Well done. I cant really think of any thing to say that has not been said allready!

Now about those masks, What are the like to use? I have looked at them before and never seen to be able to make up my mind. Having now seen what they can produce I would like to know a bit more about them.

Super build.

Ian M

M

mattski

Hi Ian, thanks for your comments. The masks are a bit more effort than decals to use but aren't difficult if you follow the instructions. The material they're made from makes them great to work with and I think the results are well worth the extra effort. Mal also supplies plenty of spares and great documentation.

My biggest problem now is getting them for the other kits I want to build

F

Fenlander

Superb build Matt and a lot of work on those markings but it has paid off. I have had a quick look at your build site, will take more time later. Good to see another Mac user on here, I love iWeb. Great work and one to be more than proud of.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It really makes me stop and stare. A truly excellent result.

Colin M........

R

rogue-one

what a fantastic spitfire. such a quality paint job. so clean and perfect. 5 stars from me too.