Shiny Sheff

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Here I attempted to make the 1/700 S-Mars kit of HMS Sheffield...
First of all I'd like to say how much fun I had making this kit... I didn't! Its crap! Fit issues, scale issues, instructions are clear as a shadow in a dark cave!
I'm glad to say I've finished it!
There is no markings as there was none in the box, flight deck markings were hand painted.
I was going to build the lynx helo, until it snapped whilst carefully removing it from the sprue... binned!
The whaler and the picket boat are the only things I didn't have a problem building!

Anyway, here's the Shiny Sheff making her way down south in '82, no markings have yet been decided but pennant number has been removed... picket boat is dwindling around in the oggin whilst the Sheff does a live firing with her 4.5 and her sea dart.

The sea is there so I didn't have to build anymore of the model up, it is not historically accurate and neither is the Sheffield.

Thanks for looking in.

20231121_202611.jpg20231121_202119.jpg20231121_202522.jpg20231121_202440.jpg20231121_202349.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Nice one Lee. Didn't the 'Shiny Cheff' have a black ring around her funnel when she went South in 82 to avoid confusion with the Argentinian Type 42 they had?

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You may have to explain 'Shiny' for the benefit of our foreign contingents mate!
Steve
She was Shiny when she was new, the nickname stuck.

Nice one Lee. Didn't the 'Shiny Cheff' have a black ring around her funnel when she went South in 82 to avoid confusion with the Argentinian Type 42 they had?
Thanks Doug, she did but I've had enough of this poopy model so bypassed it!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
She was Shiny when she was new, the nickname stuck.

Thanks Doug, she did but I've had enough of this poopy model so bypassed it!
Shiny wouldn't really work with the Newcastle would it!!!! ;)
As for the funnel ring - can't blame you.

Which has me thinking!! I'll have to Google and see if they do Leanders and Type 81's, (Tribals) in kit form!! Mind you, I'm not really a boaty person!!

Edited to add! I found them, £117 and £118 respectively!!! (So that's never going to happen unless the postcode lottery comes in!!!!).
Leander &Tribal kits

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Not your fault but her lines don't make her look like the Sheffield. Super structure is kind of tall.

Cheers,
Wabble

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee

Which has me thinking!! I'll have to Google and see if they do Leanders and Type 81's, (Tribals) in kit form!! Mind you, I'm not really a boaty person!!

Edited to add! I found them, £117 and £118 respectively!!! (So that's never going to happen unless the postcode lottery comes in!!!!).
Leander &Tribal kits
Could always try this page Doug... https://anticsonline.uk/Category/1700-Modern-RN-Waterline-Kits_N2194
Slightly cheaper and smaller!

She is looking good Lee.
Thanks Garry

Not your fault but her lines don't make her look like the Sheffield. Super structure is kind of tall.

Cheers,
Wabble
Richard, the kit is horrible, I've never heard of the company before so guess it's a back street shop in down town China?!
There are many things wrong with it!

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You finished it and it looks like a ship :rolling:. You do get credit for that. If you didn't know of the kit's problems and it's inaccuracies it looks a nice model.
Thanks Jim, I wouldn't build one from this company again!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I Agree with Jim.
Bad kit, inaccuracies, missing paintwork apart, you persevered with this awful kit - And produced a ship on a nice base too. Good enough for me!

Well done that lad. :thumb2:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I Agree with Jim.
Bad kit, inaccuracies, missing paintwork apart, you persevered with this awful kit - And produced a ship on a nice base too. Good enough for me!

Well done that lad. :thumb2:
Thanks Ron, appreciated mate

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
You know I'm floaty thing stupid Lee, But I think she looks really good!!! The only prob I see is she's so small, I can't understand how in the hell you built her in the first place!!! I had to put on the optivisor just to look at your pics......Respect Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Leander &Tribal kits
HI Lee what a 118 quid for a small 1/700 kit ? me gaster is flabbered lol an i like your model as its a type 42 batch 2 isnt it as i built two big 1/64 scale type 42 but the streched batch 3 vershion
chrisb

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
You know I'm floaty thing stupid Lee, But I think she looks really good!!! The only prob I see is she's so small, I can't understand how in the hell you built her in the first place!!! I had to put on the optivisor just to look at your pics......Respect Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen
Allen, I can assure you that it was a bag of the proverbial! Yes, she was a fiddly build to say the least.

HI Lee what a 118 quid for a small 1/700 kit ? me gaster is flabbered lol an i like your model as its a type 42 batch 2 isnt it as i built two big 1/64 scale type 42 but the streched batch 3 vershion
chrisb
Chris, I can assure you I didn't pay 118 sheets for that!
Sheffield, like the Birmingham, Newcastle were batch 1s.
Unfortunately I don't have the space for anything bigger

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Cheers,
Wabble
HI Wabble i think she is right as remember this is a sqeezed up batch 1or 2 type 42 an they did look a bit high not like the batch 3 which looked right as they were the streched vershion as they had an extra 40 ft of hull added for better sea keppin qaulityes an lee i think she should have a small union flad painted on her bridge top but i may be mistaken on that
chrisb

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
HI Wabble i think she is right as remember this is a sqeezed up batch 1or 2 type 42 an they did look a bit high not like the batch 3 which looked right as they were the streched vershion as they had an extra 40 ft of hull added for better sea keppin qaulityes an lee i think she should have a small union flad painted on her bridge top but i may be mistaken on that
chrisb
I guess without the Bulwark it looks different.

Cheers,
Wabble

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Didn't Airfix do Leander and a Tribal class in 1/600 back when the Earth was very young?
They did back a couple of millennium ago Dave, HMS Leander, I cant remember the tribal name. It would be amazing to see them revamp the Leander but do the other conversions, twin 4.5, Ikara, Sea wolf/ exocet.