Ships boats colours and rigging of the KGV

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good afternoon from the winter wonderland that is Cardiff ;)

I have been doing a lot of reading of the KGV plans, now the usually questions, few more to follow, sorry;)

What colours should the ships boats be??

Tamiya have you paint the fast motor boats with a white hull, with a field blue strip at the top of the hull and the boat itself white, then the cutters all white. had a look at other KGV builds and its all over the place.

I would have though the cutters would have a white hull and wood interior etc?? If so light or dark wood., need to buy some paint

and the next

colour of the prop shafts, Tamiya say gold or bronze, i know the props are bronze?

Final one

What size should the rigging be?? John stocks the elastic rigging sets but at different thicknesses etc, my brain is starting to hurt lol

thanks bob

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Bob, if there seems to be no definitive answer to the correct painting of the ships cutters etc., just go with the Tamiya call out.

Just wondering, would the prop shafts be visible? I've had a look at my Tamiya KG5, and all three shafts seem to be encased in 'tubes' Happy to be corrected......

I used ezeline. Haven't a clue what size, but it was very, very thin. Someone will be along with the answer, I'm sure.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon Herr Lutjens

Maybe tubes but Tamiya say paint same colour as the props, where they made of bronze????

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Don't know. I would think the tubes would be made of steel and the same colour as the lower hull, with glands around the prop. shafts to make the things watertight.
Maybe someone will let us both know the correct answer?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I would have thought all the boats would have been grey, apart from the Admirals/Captains barge, which might have been blue & white. Propellers were made of Phosphor-Bronze, or Manganese-Bronze. Initially, they'd be shiny, but soon go a reddish/brownish metallic colour. The propeller shafts would be painted hull colour They ran in glands, where they passed through the hull, and the outer shafts had 'A' bracket bearings to support the length ( no tubes! ).
The 'A' bracket was the major cause of the loss of the 'Prince of Wales', the KGVs' sistership. A Japanese torpedo hit the bracket, and the propeller & shaft, still rotating at 150rpm, broke free & 'whorled', damaging the inner propeller, but more importantly ripped open the stern gland area, causing severe flooding. Loss of speed & maneuverability made her an easier target for the Japanese Torpedo planes
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Dave

Had a look at a load of built KGV and POW and most are a silver/ metallic colour or what Tamiya say a goldish colour, not one done in hull colour

Might sign up on the modelship site and ask the question, hang on getting a ship nerd as well as StuG's. Matron, MATRON!!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Dave

Had a look at a load of built KGV and POW and most are a silver/ metallic colour or what Tamiya say a goldish colour, not one done in hull colour

Might sign up on the modelship site and ask the question, hang on getting a ship nerd as well as StuG's. Matron, MATRON!!!
yea look for a ship site
CHRIS

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
here is a shot Bob of my norfolk's props sharfts if this is any help S/S PROP SHARFT AN TUBE
CHRISIMG_6040.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN i think dave is not far off for ships boats as on my tiger there are blue an white motor launches an sort of grey an brown whale boats
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
AN i think dave is not far off for ships boats as on my tiger there are blue an white motor launches an sort of grey an brown whale boats
chris
Cheers Chris

Would the inside of the cutters be natural wood or white/ grey etc

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First the easy one. Rigging. At 1/350 scale a 1inch wire would be.....well tiny. If you find two sizes where you can see the difference, use the thicker for stays and the like, (cables that are holding things up) and the thinnest for radio wires. even if you did the whole ting in the same size, no one will ever know.

The ships boats...read ten books and you will get ten different answers. Well I did.
Many though agree that under active service most boats outside where ships colour. The very bottom of the hulls white. ( to aid finding them if they capsize at sea). The insides where nearly always wood colour. The captains launch could have have deep blue sides white bottom. If an Admirals ship it might have been dark green.
At sea all boats would have been covered with tarps and all boarding ladders and gangs stowed..

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Need steel toe caps if that fell on your foot:dizzy:
Bob steel toe caps wont save you if that prop fell on your foot as it wheighs in at about 20 tons or more as the ones on my norfolk which is only a big frigate in real life wheigh in at about 15 tons apeice as they are made from Phosphor-Bronze, or Manganese-Bronze. as Dave has said a very heavy metal
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
At sea wouldn’t the boat tops be sheeted in to keep the weather and the sea out? Seems odd to keep them open to the elements?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
At sea wouldn’t the boat tops be sheeted in to keep the weather and the sea out? Seems odd to keep them open to the elements?
HI Tim yea they would be in real have covers but the pic i put on is only a model smaller scale than my tiger an if you are doin all that work on makin up these detailed models than the last thing i would want is to put a cover over them or no point makin all the detail on the ships boats as it wont be seen an i have got to make all these ships boats but they will be bigger so more detail can be added for my tiger an i'll try an build them with all the detail so for me no covers as its nice to show the general public all the work whats gone into them if you see what i mean Tim when in a model show
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all, very helpful, on KGV the cutters are shown open and all the boats stowed in one place. Had replies on modelship and both agree with Dave that the shafts are hull colour, however not seen a build with shafts in hull colour! Boat wise varying answers, good thing with the Tamiya kit is the launches are in two parts, making it easier to paint, i will do the cutters with natural wood interior, good practice!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
however not seen a build with shafts in hull colour!
(Bob quote)

WELL Bob i just remembered that i did my nimitz prop shartfs in the hull colour if you take a deko below carrier build74 - Copy (2).jpg