Shop - drill bits

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi chris , the pin vice is exactly what you need, its essential for using these type of drill bits. It looks the same as mine, in each end there is a double ended collet so you can use it with any size drill bit up to about 3mm, as well as the ones from the shop with the standard type shank , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Forgot to say chris, these type of drill bits can of course be used in a dremel type motor tool or small drill, but the pin vice is preferable as its more controllable and wont melt the plastic like a motorised drill sometimes can if it doesnt have a slow enough setting. cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I actually prefer the ones shown on that link. I have one pin vice that has the collet to fit those bits, all having the same size shank makes swapping sizes a doddle. The other pin vice gets the collet swapped around for all the other holding tasks. One minor dislike is that you can only buy them in sets. The very fine ones. 0.3 and 0.5 do tend to snap when you least want them to. So I would recommend that you buy the smallest sizes as standard drill bits (with the shank the same size as the cut, if you know what I mean).

They are great bits by the way and cut very quick and clean.

Ian M