Should i quit?

M

Mark P

I have got to a point where I am thinking of quitting modelling! I have been building a Ducati 1199 Panigale for the past 3 months and even if I do say so myself it was looking dam good! I got up this morning and some how it had fallen off the table over night (my own fault for leaning it so close to the edge) My beautiful Jack Russell had decided it was going to be her new chew toy. The only thing left was the side panels and some other bodywork which was still in the box :sad: , to say I am gutted is an understatement. My next project was going to be an easy Revell jeep but I just cant be bothered! Been buying some new models in the past 3 months as well as I was really getting back into it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I have got to a point where I am thinking of quitting modelling! I have been building a Ducati 1199 Panigale for the past 3 months and even if I do say so myself it was looking dam good! I got up this morning and some how it had fallen off the table over night (my own fault for leaning it so close to the edge) My beautiful Jack Russell had decided it was going to be her new chew toy. The only thing left was the side panels and some other bodywork which was still in the box :sad: , to say I am gutted is an understatement. My next project was going to be an easy Revell jeep but I just cant be bothered! Been buying some new models in the past 3 months as well as I was really getting back into it.
We have all been there Mark, illness, a run of bad paint jobs, work etc all can make a hobby into a chore. You have had a major set back, the time involved and then destruction, it happens, I too have spent ages on a model and left it on my seat...yep, forgot and sat on it. Totally knackered it.

Put it down to experience, have a few days off and then start your jeep. You will regret it if you have a knee jerk reaction and sell everything.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Step back and take your time. As already said we all have discouraging mishaps. I once had a back board fall and destroy a just finished model I was photographing, but I'm still here!

Cheers

Steve.

D

Deleted member 4539

Keep going Mark.

Show me a modeller that hasn't had a disaster and I'll show you a liar.

I was doing a commission for someone of a 120mm mounted Krasinsky,and when I went to put it in a box,dropped it and the thing just shattered and was irreparable:eek:.I had to get a new kit and paint it againo_O.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Show me a modeller that hasn't had a disaster and I'll show you a liar.
Hear hear... :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
We all go through the cycle. I haven't built anything since August last year for various reasons beyond my control, but remain interested and get as much enjoyment from looking at the fantastic work going on in here as I do from building my own. I've reflected a lot on whether it's worth it at times, but remember it is a hobby not a chore, take time out and you'll be back.

N

noble

Take a step away and have a re-think, from what iam reading you actually enjoy modelling, its a set back my friend only that you do good work.

Scott

M

Mark P

Cheers guys :smiling3: , it was going to be my first model I would have been proud to put on here! I remember it taking me 2 days just to get the bolts on the front disc brake perfect, mixing paints until I was happy with the colours took at least a week o_O. I have been inspired by some of the fantastic builds on here so at least I learnt a few things on the build before Tizzy my Jack Russell turned it into her toy

Last edited:
D

dubster72

Mark, don't give up! I've been in a model making slump for a couple of months, rather than being an enjoyable & engrossing hobby, it's like a chore.

But I know my mojo will return at some point, just as yours will. There'll be a kit that fires your imagination & before you know it, you'll be knee-deep in plastic ;)

T

Triumph

Many years ago I built the Moto Guzzi V850 California in 1/6 scale check out the video

motor bike. With see through engine with all the parts you could see moving by an electric motor and working drum brakes, for me it was a challenge, but I did it and it took pride of place on a shelf in the living room, where it was for a few months, until my cat decided he needed to get a closer look at it. Not much to put back together after a 10 foot drop to the floor. The cat lost one of his nine lives in my head that day :smiling3:

First Name
Stuart
Keep going don't give up you will regret it.

You obviously love modelling so don't let this mishap stop you.

F

Fenlander

Like the rest of the guys, I have to say hang in there. I have been in your place in that my dog ate a set of models under construction. At the time I felt gutted, I now laugh about it. Just remember, everything you learned building that kit is still with you. Just go for something totally different and, as hard as it is, put this behind you and move on.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Nope keep on thing that gets my mojo back is watching youtube seeing other people build like flory models and cause i only do tanks/planes watching a good war film seeing all uniforms and equipment and veichles gets me wanting to build again ...

So dont quit just take your time and it will come back stronger

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
never give up, modelling can be the most frustrating of hobbies but you build more better ones as you go along and you do learn as Graham says , take a few days off and when you are ready have a go at another one .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Naaaahhhhh! Don't quit! If you're not in the mood for building, tidy away your tools and clean up your workspace - but don't put everything away in boxes/storage. Pretty soon you'll see something that tempts you and before you know it, you'll be up to your eyebrows again. Maybe you could even come up with a way of keeping all your modelling stuff out of harm's way - but don't hold your breath over that one!

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
give up? no!

chalk it up to experience and crack on with the next one

been there done that......just think of it as a practice piece and dont let it get you down, focus on making the next one as good as you can

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Maybe you could even come up with a way of keeping all your modelling stuff out of harm's way - but don't hold your breath over that one!
You know that scene from the film Platoon, Willem dafoe on his knees with his arms above his head, the slow mo action as the bullets hit him...keep that image in your head...most modellers have been in that very position and instead of the bullets it is every piece of plastic that has broken and scattered to the four corners of the room that cause the jolts of pain.

200_s.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Give up! No way. Just follow these easy steps.

1. Tizzy banished to the garden (guard duty)for at least a month on rations and no treats.

2 Go buy the kit again and relive that warm fuzzy feeling.

3 Rebuild and paint new kit.

4 Share results with us.

5 Secure all cherished models safely and out of harms/paws way.

6 Maybe let the dog in

Good look cheers John

First Name
Robert
Never give up ( never ) I went through a nasty divorce years back and yes my models stash etc that I had built from when ford cortina mk2 were on the go got trashed in a hissy fit but I have come back to this modelling and yes at times we all lose our mojo and yes the lovable animals we keep can get in the way.

It is a hobby that you enjoy

Take a few days off and gather your spirits together again........ Take a few more days then go back to the table and start something.

When I started back say 5/6 yrs ago I had very few kits all enamel tin paints and a few brushes but I started on 1/72 cheap kits.

Now look at me Airbrush, acrylic paints, etc etc and I'm doing armour / jets / buildings......... All through the hobby I enjoy and the great guys and gals on here that give you what you need ( mojo and encouragement )

Go on Mark you know you want to carry on bashing away with this hobby

Kind regards

Robert