Silvering

D

demon

Just wrecked my tamiya 48 scale spitfire mk1

I was doing the decals in the 92 sqn scheme most are ok it's the letters on the fuselage sides don't know what I did wrong gave it all two coats of klear waited 24 hours then put them on with microset then fixed them with a liberal cost of microsol when the wrinkles went and all dry noticed silvering so I gave another coat of microsol and pricked a million times with scalpel point more microsol when dry still silver even tried rolling with a q tip any suggestions guys push come to shove how can I remove them once dry

Any advice would be much appreciated

Roger

P

phikoleoputra

Happened to me few builds ago, all I did was put another coat of gloss after decalling is done. Then flat coat then weather the aircraft heavily, it should cover up the silvering. Hope that helps

D

dubster72

Unfortunately Roger, decal silvering is the gift that keeps on giving! :sad: it's happened to me so many times.

Although it doesn't help you now, I feel the use of a setting agent such as Microset actually encourages silvering. I know it's counter-initiative, but 99% of the silvering I've encountered has been when using such a product.

Other than painting over the decals (not a pleasant thought!), Leo's advice is probably your best shot. It's worked for me in the past.

Cheers

Patrick

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I have heard once, a method to try and rectify silvering was to pierce the decal in several places, then flood the area with Klear or some other very thing gloss coat.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I have heard once, a method to try and rectify silvering was to pierce the decal in several places, then flood the area with Klear or some other very thing gloss coat.
That is worth a go!

I try to cut out all decals, removing as much of the carrier film as I can before applying. Less carrier film = less chance of visible silvering. That's my theory anyway :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

D

demon

\ said:
That is worth a go!
I try to cut out all decals, removing as much of the carrier film as I can before applying. Less carrier film = less chance of visible silvering. That's my theory anyway :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve wish I had done that now but I thought I would leave a fair bit there to keep the decal strong live and learn next time I'll cut up the individual letters and remove a load of the carrier as well I think I'll get away with it this time I spent all last night flooding said decals with microsol and punching with a stiff brush it's nearly all gone

Roger