SimonT - 1/35 Tamiya Sdkfz.223

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You have excelled yourself on this project Mr T. There is so much to luv about this build. Figures are great to watch coming together Beautiful craftmanship all round

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon
Details and more details. I like the protective light cages. Looking forward to the figures. Seems a good way to get poses just as you want. Sensible to use heads, hands and feet as they are probably harder to sculpt than clothing.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Steve - figures will be interesting. I've started quite a few over the years but not completed many and it's been a while since the last one

Hi Jim - thanks. Yes, free rein to position them to mimic the reference photos rather than cut'n'shut of modifying kit parts but then I have to sculpt everything else so more work overall.
Hornet heads are great and way better than anything I can make. The boots and stumpy hands help keep things in the right proportions, at least that is the idea

John - made me chuckle :thumb2:

Not much done to report on

Last figure armature has been loosely assembled now as per the other two

Made a start on stowage

223-089_2020-8-10.jpg
box made for the front left mudguard based on reference photo

There seems to have been quite a variety of racks and boxes added by crews - rather than depicting a particular vehicle I have just used a random mixture of things seen in photos

223-090_2020-8-10.jpg
a rather fuzzy tarp draped around the aerial support (takes ages to sculpt them fuzzy like that ;) )

not sure I like how it turned out - may get binned and attempted again

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Still didn't like that tarp so off it came

223-095_2020-8-11.jpg
another one went on the front over the jerrycans

223-096_2020-8-11.jpg
added the rope around the front bumper

223-094_2020-8-11.jpg
added a length of chain and the ever present bucket to the rear - bucket pinched from a Tamiya half track

223-098_2020-8-11.jpg
helmet from the kit - chiselled out the insides and added a headband inside from micro strip

looks like the chin strap has broken as I took the picture - it was ok a few seconds before :rolling:
a bit of rectification required there

223-091_2020-8-11.jpg
223-092_2020-8-11.jpg
223-093_2020-8-11.jpg
made some new stowage for the rear

223-097_2020-8-11.jpg
CA'd bloke 1 together and made a start on posing him - needs a bit of fine tuning

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If you have a spare bit of the green stuff, an overhanging rag in the bucket might look good. Lovely update as always Mr T

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Surprised Simon you haven't change that bucket handle, does look a bit heavy as does the rim.
Love the figure, and the green covers.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve - good idea

John - oh no, the bucket of shame :tired:

223-099_2020-8-12.jpg223-100_2020-8-12.jpg223-101_2020-8-12.jpg223-102_2020-8-12.jpg223-103_2020-8-12.jpg
having got a bit lazy last night just attaching the bucket as it came off the sprue I was quite rightly taken to task by John

so.....

soaked it in Tammy cement until it came loose and then prised the chain out of it

pulled off and binned the handle then pared it down on the inside with a blade and thinned the rim

since it was now in pieces I distressed the surface with a micro file to create a dented look

made a couple of handle mounts from copper sheet with 0.5mm holes for the handle and CA'd them to the rim

made a new handle from 0.5mm steel wire - the spring of the wire holds the ends through the mount holes

hung the bucket back on the hook and put the chain inside - the weight caused the bucket to tilt nicely so CA'd everything in place

mixed up a small piece of Duro and rolled it out wafer thin - cut the edges off to form a square rag then used a rubber tipped sculpting tool to push it in to the bucket and shape it

hopefully it is no longer the bucket of shame and will pass inspection

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steve - good idea

John - oh no, the bucket of shame :tired:

View attachment 395382View attachment 395383View attachment 395384View attachment 395385View attachment 395386
having got a bit lazy last night just attaching the bucket as it came off the sprue I was quite rightly taken to task by John

so.....

soaked it in Tammy cement until it came loose and then prised the chain out of it

pulled off and binned the handle then pared it down on the inside with a blade and thinned the rim

since it was now in pieces I distressed the surface with a micro file to create a dented look

made a couple of handle mounts from copper sheet with 0.5mm holes for the handle and CA'd them to the rim

made a new handle from 0.5mm steel wire - the spring of the wire holds the ends through the mount holes

hung the bucket back on the hook and put the chain inside - the weight caused the bucket to tilt nicely so CA'd everything in place

mixed up a small piece of Duro and rolled it out wafer thin - cut the edges off to form a square rag then used a rubber tipped sculpting tool to push it in to the bucket and shape it

hopefully it is no longer the bucket of shame and will pass inspection
You're suppose to restrain yourself...what are friends for. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Not much to show tonight - couldn't be bothered due to heat

It is just too hot for me - just after midnight and still 26degC - anything above 20 and I just start to dissolve

223-104_2020-8-13.jpg
going by reference photos it was common practice to hang water bottles on the side of the hull

the kit would have you just stick them straight to the hull - not great

the real bottles had a small spring clip fastened to the strap on the rear. This allowed them to be clipped to the D rings on the bread bag or in this case on to a piece of rope strung across the side of the vehicle

tried bending some clips but they proved to be just too small so I resorted to using two links from a piece of Aber etch chain

the two links were twisted 90deg to each other, CA'd to the back of the water bottle and then strung on some nylon thread

the thread was then tied to the jerrycan rack and the aerial mount and stiffened with a little CA to stop it flopping about

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's dedication, very nice Simon.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking great Simon. The Vehicle detail is awesome and I look forward to seeing the figures.
Cheers
Paul

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic detail going on here Si...gotta find me some of that DURO stuff and hopefully master it’s use like you have. Keep it coming

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Simon

tried bending some clips but they proved to be just too small so I resorted to using two links from a piece of Aber etch chain

the two links were twisted 90deg to each other, CA'd to the back of the water bottle and then strung on some nylon thread
Now that is dedication - clever way of doing it. Looks good. Quite common to see stuff just "placed" onto vehicles with no visible means of support. Shame 'cause it never looks right.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Steve, John, Paul, Joe, Jim - thank you all

Not 100% Jim but looks the part and better than just sticking them to the hull. At least this way I got them on the 'rope' (actually super strong, none fluffy, nylon thread) so they could hang naturally

223-114_2020-8-17.jpg
finally got around to assembling the basic mannequins and sorting out poses

223-108_2020-8-17.jpg
223-110_2020-8-17.jpg

223-106_2020-8-17.jpg

223-111_2020-8-17.jpg
I then made a start on fleshing them out using Magic Sculp

223-112_2020-8-17.jpg
even though I have various commercial sculpting tools I still find my homemade one works best for this stage

made from a large paperclip and a chunky section of sprue CA'd together and faired in with Duro

223-107_2020-8-17.jpg
223-109_2020-8-17.jpg
one end is now a curved spatula shape
223-113_2020-8-17.jpg
223-105_2020-8-17.jpg
the other is filed into a knife shape

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Simon
Bucket looks good now. Nice of John to keep you on your toes - we really can't let you get lazy in your old age :tongue-out3:
Figures are coming on nicely. I suppose the cling film is just to stop the putty sticking when getting the figures to "place" naturally. Little sculpting tool looks useful.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Simon
Bucket looks good now. Nice of John to keep you on your toes - we really can't let you get lazy in your old age :tongue-out3:
Figures are coming on nicely. I suppose the cling film is just to stop the putty sticking when getting the figures to "place" naturally. Little sculpting tool looks useful.
Jim
Excuse us Wise One.
Yes Jim, I was shocked to see the state of that bucket, I'm putting it down to the heat, quite unlike Himself to offer that. Only noticed it because he has trained me so well .